CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

DANIEL

One might think that I am used to the chaos and mess that comes with my title as a warden but don't be fooled.

The kind of shit that goes around in prison is quite unpredictable. Take for instance now, it's just a few minutes past 4am and I am in my car heading to work. Apparently I had three murders on my hands and and no one knows anything. From what I understand it started with a fire.

Three hours later and my phone is blowing up crazily. My superiors are demanding for answers I don't have. And it doesn't help that  I have a certain inmate to avoid. 

I have four guys interviewing the inmates on the matter and Gianna, Kane and I are working on an incident report. We need to have a convincing argument on why no one saw anything or things will become really ugly for all of us. They might send in audits and nothing good comes from such visits. 

But at the same time three bodies can not  be ignored. 

I have three families to sadden with the breaking news, and I can't find a logical explanation to give. 

"I think we should check the scene once again," Kane suggested. 

"Do you think we will find something?"

"Even if we don't, at least we will deduce our own concussions. These nightly reports have lots of ambiguity."  

"Fine by me," I agreed. "You and Gianna can proceed, I will catch up." I needed a minute to breathe.  The whole thing has me on edge. 

After they left, I slumped on my chair, stretching my arms. I cracked some joints, willing my tense body to relax. 

I took a few more minutes to myself before I decided to head down to the scene. 

I took a left turn passing the cafeteria, and almost bumped into someone. Leonard, one of the guards was hurrying somewhere with four inmates in tow. One of them was Liam. He peeked at me discreetly and I looked away fast, and kept moving. 

Seeing him at close range made me question why I listened to logic. Those pretty brown orbs seemed inescapable. I pushed my feet forward in determination. I had more important things to steal my attention. I found Gianna and Kane assessing the scene.

"Anything?"

"These two don't add up," Kane pointed at two different spots, which was believed to be the murder site. "This trail of blood is clean. From the appearance of the body that was recovered here, it shouldn't be."  He moved a few steps back, 

"And this," he referred to the other spot, "something is off with the blood. Look, " he used his pen to scoop up some and held it up. 

"What are we looking at?" I respect his opinion on the matter. He used to be a detective, until a grisly incident  took the lives of eight colleagues. Only he and another survived. PTSD kicked in and he had to lie low and take a less risky Job.

"This blood should be..." He raised his head and we followed his gaze. He didn't have to say anything, we might have just found out where the actual killing happened.

*****

I had to rewrite the incident report after uncovering a whole new story. We still hadn't found any culprit, but at least we established how it happened. 

My cell rang, it was Gianna. "He is coming." That's all she said and hung up. I heard a knock, and the door opened. Liam entered defiantly. Before my shock wore off, he spoke,

"Why are you avoiding me?" His scowl was condemning.

"I thought we..." he trailed off, seemingly lost for  words.