CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

If I thought breaking up with Liam was hard, I hadn't experienced losing a job too.

When I got back to town, I found out that I had been summoned by my boss urgently. I wasn't as careful as I had thought.

Somehow, they had found out about us; me and Liam. I could have tried denying it but then I was never a good liar. I had to give a resignation letter.
Luckily, if I can call it that under the circumstances, it didn't get scandalous.

My superiors were sad to let me go, but they couldn't have done anything about it. One thing I can't seem to understand though is how, or who else knew about us.

Apart from Gianna and Chris from my side, no one else had even the slightest clue as far as I am concerned. And I trust them with my life.

That leaves Liam and his family. Those are the other people who have an insight into our relationship.

I am tempted to call him and ask if he has anything to do with my job loss,  but that would be insulting. I know he wouldn't do such a thing.

Twenty-four missed calls, over thirty messages and he still doesn't relent. I thought not picking up will get him to leave me alone but it's only succeeding in making him call more, and it's annoying . Chris can be tenacious when he wants to, and it seems that maybe answering his call and telling him to ' fuck off' verbally, is the only option left, if I want some peace.

"Before you say anything,  I just want you to know I am here to wallow with you in silence." 

"Here?"

"Open the door,"  I was surprised to find him leaning casually with his phone in hand.

"I will be quiet, I promise." That got a smile out of me.

"You and silence..." I shook, "can never get along."

"True," he chuckled. "But just for today I will try to defy my mouth for you. Now let me in." I stepped aside and he strolled in,
like he owns the place.
He disappeared into the kitchen and came back with two beers in his hand.

"Why are you really here?"

"You need me," he replied simply taking a gulp of  his beer. He turned his attention to the tv. I had left Nat geo wild on.

I didn't react to his comment because he was right. I might not admit it to him out loud, but I need my best friend.

"Thank you." He briefly turned his attention to me, smiled, and faced forward again.

" What happened with Liam?" He asked after a long silence.

"We are on break,"

"Just break?" He asked doubtingly

"I'm not sure."

"Cool."  We fell again in perfect stillness, until he spoke.
"You do realize I know you,"

"I have never argued with that,"

"Then talk to me," he was exasperated. "Please..."

"There truly nothing to say,"

"You love the boy."  He stated

"Very much," I admitted

"Then forgive him," I glared at him. "Don't you remember being that young, we did stupid things."

"And that's why I am giving him time, he needs to figure things out on his own."

"Okay," Chris conceded begrudgingly. "About your job..." I cut him off before he made a offer. Knowing him, he would toss all his money and influence at me.