CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

LIAM

It has been two weeks since I stopped tiptoeing around the prison scared. It has also been two weeks since the last time Daniel sought me out.

He has been avoiding me and I figured it's because I joined the crew, instead of waiting for him like I had promised I would.

It's irritating. I can't just march into his office, and demand to have a talk. Many are the days I have contemplated doing exactly that, but I know it would be jeopardizing the both of us. So I have been patient, hoping he will get over whatever hurt ego issues he has going on and hear my side of the story.

But he hasn't. And I am worried that perhaps he has lost interest in me. It's not a delightful feeling.

Long gone, are the sneaky tender stolen gazes. Now, whenever our eyes meet, he quickly averts.

My days are now spent with the crew playing my part. I wasn't thrilled when I found out that my protection included spending all my time outside the cell with them. But it was the only way they could guarantee my safety. And for the last two weeks I haven't sustained even a scratch.

Matthew had gone off on me, after he had returned from the visitors' bay and found me among the wolves. He had waited till we were back in our cell to confront me. After I explained everything that had happened, he understood, like always.

I admire that about him, his ability to listen and understand without judging the other persons' point of view. If I could only infect Daniel with some of that magic.

I hate him walking around thinking I am a liar, the mere thought is disconcerting. I need to clarify the situation as soon as possible because... I kinda miss him.

*****

At around dawn, the fire alarm went off. All the cells unlocked automatically. Inmates were scrambling to get to the fire emergency meeting point.

There was already commotion in the corridors, and when the lights went off, chaos tripled.

Many tripped and fell, running each over rushing for the same exit.

The fire seems to have started in the infirmary because guards are rushing in that direction with fire extinguishers.

I turned and realized I couldn't find Matthew, who was supposed to be following closely behind me. I turned to go and look for him but someone grabbed my hand pointing a flashlight on my face. My vision was blinded shortly which caused me to stumble with a shriek. A firm 'come with me,' grunt notified me that it was Babbz gripping my hand. From his gruff tone, he was losing patience with me.

"This is your fucking protection," he growled when I attempted to pry his hand off mine. I tried to argue about Matthew when I should have known better. I yanked me carelessly and dragged me in the chaotic hallway. I got knocked over a couple of times and I guess Babbz had enough. He roughly hoisted me overhis shoulders and bulldozed his way outside, shoving everyone aside.

My last thought was, Matthew can take care of himself.

Directives were being offered

through the speakers, since all the guards were busy putting out the fire. Once every inmate was gathered at the fire point, the cell gate began closing, locking us out on the field.

I tried looking around, but all I could see in the dark were blurry figures. I panicked and almost yelled when a loud thud,

accompanied by a chilling scream, sounded just a few steps away from us.

I would have ran, but fear froze me on the spot. Fights broke from all directions. Everyone was wary of the unknown. I shifted my stance, and folded my fists, ready to hit whoever or whatever will come at me.

"Keep calm," Babbz instructed, shoving me between him and Doug. I breathed out deeply and did as I was told. It didn't take long for the lights to flicker back on.

I let out a relieved sigh and peeked around. I wish I hadn't. Shreds of tunic and blood was all over. What startled me was the headless body facing down, with blood gushing in spurts from he chopped neck.

It was the bloodiest eerie sight I have ever witnessed.

I gulped nervously, clasping my mouth to muffle the whimpers,

but ended up screaming seconds later, when the head in question rolled across, barely missing my foot.

Babbz smacked his hand over my mouth from behind,turning us away from the body. I panted harshly, as my whole body trembled. I faced ahead trying to calm my racing heart and instead my eyes clashed with Jeffrey's, the crew leader. His menacing glare narrowed one making me gulp uneasily. I lowered my gaze but it landed on his hands, which were holding a blood-stained wire.

I quickly snapped my gaze back to his face. He wore this sinister smirk, confirming he had just

executed a well-thought murder, and the fire incident was all connected to him.

I turned to face an unbothered Babbz, "shh..."

Before I could do anything, the guards started pouring in armed with tear gas.

Fuckers!

They already had enough mess to clean, without adding more chaos. But I guess they didn't know that. They were yet to discover the body, or bodies, if another Jeffrey was on a mission tonight.

I used my tunic to shield my eyes, as Babbz pulled me closer to him. The inmates began scattering. As if on cue, the cell gates began opening.

Babbz must be taking his security job seriously, because he never left my side, until he was sure I was back safely in my cell.

"That dead guy wanted to kill you," Babbz muttered, pinning me against my cell wall. "Who are you?And who wants you dead?" He growled choking me,

"I don't know," I wheezed. And that was god's truth. I was surprised to hear someone wanted me dead. Was it Spencer perhaps? I doubt it, considering the hell hole he is rotting in, courtesy of Lex.

"Who are you? " he repeated the one question I wanted to evade. But hesitating only made him more suspicious. I was scared of what would happen if anyone finds out I come from money.

"I am nobody, I live with my grandfather." I could give myself an Oscar for holding a steady breath as I lied for my life. "I honestly don't know who wants me dead."

" Where did you get the cash from?" Oh shit! These bastards aren't empty headed as I had thought. " I had some money saved on the outside. My gramps brought it for me."

"Mmh..." He hummed thoughtfully, "that man won't be the last one, more will follow, I suggest you get down to it and find out who wants you dead. We can protect you from the inmates, but if outside force is involved, a guard can as well slit your throat as you sleep." And he left.

Left alone, I slumped on the floor and completely drowned. A million thoughts played in mind and I couldn't wait for the following day to call my father. Someone wants me dead, it sounds like a far fetched tale.

My heart was still racing when Matthew walked in. I rose from the floor. "You are alright," he breathed, scanning my face. He got into bed right after and within minutes he was out.

I guess after spending twenty-nine years in prison, some things become a norm.

I tried catching the same deserved sleep myself, but that headless body was all I could see every time I closed my eyes. And my brain was still stuck on the fact that someone wants me dead.

A day that had started out looking promising, took me back to square one. A murder witness.

I felt so alone and lost. I would kill for a hug from someone, anyone, to help me feel less alone.

I wish Daniel hadn't ghosted me. It would have been easy to talk to him, confide in him.

Maybe I should go to him. What is it that they say? If Mohammed doesn't go to the mountain...