CHAPTER SIXTEEN

DANIEL 

My agitation only grew with time. When it got the better of me, I locked my office in a hurry, headed to the parking lot. I will have to wait till Monday to confront Liam. 

My phone blasted with Chris's name on the screen. I let it go straight to voicemail. I  knew he would be pissed but I would rather do the explaining face to face. 

My thoughts drifted back to Liam as I sped through the highway. I sincerely want the best for him, but I am not sure to what extent. I'm jeopardizing everything I believe in, just because I am interested in him. 

I would have talked  to him before I left, but I didn't trust my emotions around him. Not when I am this agitated.

My only hope is that those bastards don't end up double-crossing him.

Because it would force me to react, and I am not sure it would be good for anyone. 

I took a right turn and spotted an empty parking spot which I hurriedly occupied. I sighted Chris the moment I got into the bar. He was  seated by the counter glancing at his watch. 

I watched in amusement as he grabbed his phone,  and mine began vibrating shortly. 

Without bothering to retrieve it, I approached him and tapped  his shoulder lightly. The scowl on his face melted, a wide grin replacing it. 

"What took you so long?" He grumbled, bumping fists happily.

"Not all of us have rich daddies," I retorted playfully, draping my arm over his shoulder, earning me a fuck you. I grabbed his bottle of beer and emptied the remnants of it in a go. I pushed the now empty bottle towards the bartender. 

"More, please. "

I dabbed my mouth and took a seat on a high stool beside him. 

"That bad, uh?" I didn't have time to answer as four bottles of beer appeared in my line of vision. I grabbed one and took a sip, before turning my gaze to Chris, who was busy smirking knowingly at me. 

"You Mr. Warden, seem to have had quite a day."  he wiggled his brows. 

"Try a week,"

"Talk to me,"  I let out a deep breath, took a cigarette from his pack,  lit it, took a puff before I passed it to him. 

"You will need it." I added quickly, stopping the question I knew he was bound to ask.  

His forehead creased in question, as he took a puff, but his attention was solely on me.

I didn't speak at once, I  took a few minutes to organize my jumbled thoughts,  wondering where to begin.

Luckily, he seemed to understand my silence and endured it while smoking quietly. 

"I like someone..." I trailed weighing his reaction. "an inmate." I added it carefully.

I waited on him to say anything, so that I could pick on his thoughts,  but he just started, skeptically.

"Go on," he urged in a what happened next, tone.

I gave him a short summary on my predicament. He couldn't conceal his bewilderment. 

"An inmate, wow"  He breathed out, acting so wowed. 

"I know it looks bad,"  I murmured in distress.

"It is bad, my friend." There was no judgment in his voice. Just concern, and I knew it was for my job.

"Show me his picture," he blurted after a while. I twirled the beer bottle in my hand before I took a sip, ignoring his expecting stare.

"I am  just curious..." He pestered. "The guy must be something, for you to even consider compromising your morals." 

He was enjoying the situation, more than he should. 

"What makes you think I have his picture?"  I asked opening another bottle.  

"How long have I known you?" I shook my head in resignation. I sometimes forget the bastard knows me more than anyone.  And knowing him, he will keep asking until I yield. I took out my phone,  swiped the screen till I came across Liam's pictures, and passed it to him.

"I can see why your mind is fucked up." He observed quietly. "Lenses?"  He asked, pointing at Liam's eyes. 

" No," I muttered with pride as he passed the phone back to me.

"You know what will happen if someone finds out that you are fucking an inmate."  He started bluntly. 

"Lower your voice," I scolded. "Snd I am not fucking him... Not yet anyway." I finished with a devious smile sending Chris in an alarmed mode. 

" You can't be serious!" He exclaimed softy, "he is a criminal for fucks sake." 

"Chris..."

"And even if we overlook that part,  it would be stupid to put your job at risk."  he growled sternly gritting his teeth.   

"You think I don't know that?"  My incredulity dripping from every word. 

"Then why?" He looked around the gay bar as if he was giving me options. He was truly curious. He wanted to know why I would rather complicate my life. 

"Wish I knew,"  I confessed.  "I can't get  him out of my damn mind." 

"Maybe you just need some really good lay," he said simply. The idea sounded appealing but I knew it had nothing to do with Liam. I won't deny that I want to bang him, but I also want him in a non-sexual way. I want to hold him, see him smile, listen to him talk and more importantly I want to see him happy. 

"He  is affecting more than just my cock, and it's unsettling." Chris seemed taken aback.

"Who would have thought?" I wasn't the one for emotional attachment. I am almost thirty, never been in a proper relationship. But I want one, with Liam.

"Didn't see it coming either," I raised my beer, "cheers to that."

"Only one thing remaining now..." He trailed warily and I knew where the talk was ending. 

I rubbed  my temples in frustration, but not really surprised.

"Till when?" I sighed,

"Talk to him Daniel, then I will  let it go. Otherwise..."  Otherwise he would keep bringing it up, and probably annoy me to death. And that's what  I love about him.  He speaks his mind and his determination never fades till he get the desired results. 

Which means I have to make an effort and talk to Damien, if I don't want my best friend to annoy me till  I check out.

"Okay." I conceded

"Really?" His disbelief was warranted. After all, I haven't spoken to my brother in years seven to be exact.

"Yes," I admitted with a chuckle. "It's about time I got some answers anyway." I needed to know why my brother  had our mother euthanized and buried without my knowledge.  It happened back when I was in the army. 

"Don't blow up on him this time, let him talk first." Chris advised good naturedly.

"Yes, sir." I gave a mock salute, but  Chris didn't comment further which showed he was worried. 

"You worry  too much."

"You are my best friend," he rasped.

"And you are mine," I retorted. "Can we drink in peace now?" I scowled dramatically, getting him to smile. 

We spent the rest of the night talking about Liam and different possible outcomes, if I damn it all and pursued him. None was pretty. It all somehow ended with one of us hurt.