what's happening?

*one week after tatums 15th*

                    Tatum had quite a bit of birthday money to spend, she was grateful for everything and everyone in her life so the money didn't even occur to her until she sat down a week ago and realised how blessed she actually is.  That is currently why herself, Riley and Tatum are currently on their way to the mall to have a girly day out, "don't be too loud" jay smiled at them as the got out of the car.  Tatum smiled, "we won't, see you later, bye love you" she waved as she ran to catch up with her friends, jay just smiled and nodded as she ran off, it's crazy to think that she's now 15 and how fast the time has gone by already.  He put the truck into gear and drove to work since he did still have to move on with life today and not dawn on how much his not so little girl is now.

Tatum and the girls were just wandering around the ground floor of the mall, "what about bath and body works, that's usually pretty empty" Riley shrugged. Tatum nodded, "sure" she laughed, the two girls smiled as they linked arms with the 'birthday girl', even though it was a week ago, and walked into the first store. They didn't really find anything in there so they moved on and decided to have a wander around upstairs instead, there they found many useful stores like Zara and sports shops where their money actually got spent on things they would use more than once. After about an hour or two of shopping they were pretty hungry, so they found the small cafe at the end of the top floor and sat down at a table before ordering a bite to eat.

~~~~~~~~~~

               Jay and hailey had been called out to do a well being check on an elderly woman since her neighbour had noticed the lack of life signs coming from the woman's house. As they pulled up to the location they saw the caller stood waiting for them, they hopped out of the truck and walked over to the middle aged woman, "I'm sorry if I called you for a stupid reason but something just feels off. Usually she's out taking to my kids or doing some form of gardening but I haven't seen her in a few days" she folded her arms. Jay and hailey smiled and nodded, "you did the right thing" hailey tapped her arm. The caller smiled and nodded before walking back up to her front porch to observe as jay and hailey walked towards the front door, "Chicago PD, is anyone home?" Hailey knocked on the glass lightly.

After a minute of silence jay nodded at his partner, "step away from the door ma'am!" He called out before kicking the door down. The pair pulled out their guns and made their way through the bungalow, "body" hailey spoke calmly yet alerted as jay cleared the house, "clear, she home alone" he ran back to the kitchen to see hailey stood with her arm out. Hailey shook her head and backed away from her, "she's got some kind of infection or something, call in hazmat" she shuddered at the sight of the old woman's dead body being eaten alive by some kind of flesh eating bacteria. Jay nodded as the pair left the house, making sure they touched nothing, he called in hazmat and it didn't take long for them to arrive on scene. The team cordoned off the house and removed the body where it was then taken to the nearest morgue for a diagnosis of what was eating her skin to shreds.

The pair had just about finished up with the hazmat team when hank rang hailey, "upton" she spoke clearly. There was a small pause before Haileys face dropped, "copy that Sarge, we're on our way" she replied before hanging up. Jay looked at her in curiosity as hailey began walking back to jays truck, leaving jay with no choice but to follow her, "Voight said there's been some kind of infectious outbreak in the city, meds been flooded with patients sharing the same infectious disease. He's on scene of a suspicious apartment complex now" she got into his truck as jay followed suit. Jays eyes widened but nodded and began driving, not thinking it was that serious, then put his foot on the pedal to speed things up a bit.

At the active scene it was like something out of a horror movie, there were white hazmat tents and workers in suits everywhere, even the unit were being forced to wear a protective suits when around the building. The people living in the apartment complex were being made to leave the building and walk into a tent where they were being forced into quarantine since this building seems to be a spout for the disease, "I need three of you to get back to the district and work on the lead I just send out, Halstead, upton, Burgess, get on it" he waved them off since they were the only ones not in protective gear already. They all nodded and ran back to their vehicles before driving back to the district to get some insight as to what was going on, jay still didn't think anything was that serious since nothing was getting shut down yet...

                 Back at the district the trio were sat upstairs, with trudy, going through any form of evidence to try and find out what the hell was going on in the notorious Windy City, they'd been informed that the complex building was being decontaminated as they worked, but that's all they knew until Will walked into the bullpen, a standby officer must've let him up, "you got anything useful?" Jay stood up and walked over to his brother, the other three now paying full attention to the brothers.  Will nodded and took a deep breath, "the labs still working on finding a definitive answer but from everything we've tested so far, it's definitely some kind of necrotising fasciitis and it's spreading rapidly. We've notified the board of health secretary and so far they're looking into closing the borders, no ones leaving or coming into the city, I'm not gonna lie to you all, it's really bad" he huffed and passed them a file. 

                   They discussed the main topic for a little while longer before Will grabbed Jays attention, "where's Tate? She's probably better off at home, it'll be safe there at least" he nodded.  Jays eyes widened, shoot, she's still at the mall, the case had been so time consuming he completely forgot about his daughter's whereabouts.  Just as the pair were about to talk again, jays phone rang, "speaking of the devil" he showed Will the caller ID, Will smiled a little as jay accepted the call and put his daughter on speaker phone.
Jay: "Tate honey are you still at the..."
Tatum: "dad... what's happening? people are running around, they've pulled the shutters down and we're not allowed to leave..."

Jay looked up as the mini group surrounded his phone, they could hear tatums white cries of fear coming through the phone. Will was probably going to be the most helpful in this situation so he nodded at jay to let him take over, jay handed his brother the phone as the group listened in.
Will: "Tate sweetheart it's Will, what's going on in there? Can you see anything?"
Tatum: "uhm, I can't see much, I can only see a few people laying on the floor downstairs but they look hurt. We're not allowed near them, everyone's shoving into each other..."
Will: "alright Tate, listen carefully. I want you to find somewhere in the mall that's far away from the injured people and away from everyone else, you got that?"
Tatum: "what about Riley? Tegan? They got separated from me..."
Will: "I promise they'll be okay honey but i need to you do what I just said okay?"
Tatum: "yeah... yeah okay. I'm going now"
Will: "good girl, you're doing so well. Have you moved away from everyone?"
Tatum: "yeah I'm in the corner, what's happening will? I'm scared..."
Will: "don't worry tink, we'll explain everything when we get you out okay, I just need you to stay away from everyone and don't touch anything. The only people I want you to listen to are the people in big white suits, can you do that for me?"
Tatum: "yeah, yeah I'll do that. Where's dad and hailey?"
Jay: "we're right here honey, we're gonna get you out soon okay? Just sit tight and do as Will said"
Tatum: "okay... I love you"
Jay: "I love you too sweetie, keep me updated please"
Tatum: "I will..."

Jay hung up the phone and looked at Will in concern, "lockdown, the mall must've became contaminated. People have obviously contacted it so everyone inside that mall will be sent to quarantine, I know that much. Wether it be gaffney or lakeshore, they'll be in holding for at least 12 hours. I can try my best to make sure she's put into gaffney so I can check on her every so often, but I can't promise anything" the red head nodded. Jay let out a worried breath, "yeah... thanks man, talk soon yeah?" He squeezed wills shoulder as the red head left to go find a cure to this disease. Hailey walked over to jay and squeezed his arm, "she's a smart kid, she'll be fine jay" she nodded worriedly, but she too was slightly anxious. Jay nodded, "yeah no, she's smart..." he reassured himself but it wasn't working that well, his heart was beating like a big brass drum...