Chapter Ten

Boxes was stacked up in the corner of a quiet room. Slow footsteps circled the room, the owner of the steps paced around the room, occasionally stopping in front of the desk, then on the bed.

Sunako had been locked in her dorm room the whole day. After Aizawa dismissed them, the students parted their own ways with their own personal belongings. Sunako did the same, admittedly a little too eager to leave. Ever since getting her things inside her room, the door stayed locked with music blasting from the speaker.

She was aware of her elusiveness, yes. As she had done so intentionally. That time at the prison left quite an epiphany in her. Fully realizing what her existence meant to the world. Danger, a breakthrough for Quirks? Sunako liked to think that way, at least to take off some part of her worries. Sunako also understands that she was adding worries to one person in particular, who after all the waiting, finally knocks on her door.

Sunako looked away from her small bookshelf, she placed the last book in its proper station and walked towards the door.

Shouto stood from the other side, hands in his pockets with a small frown on his face, which stayed even after seeing her, but his frown looked pained, at the very least his eyebrows lifted from relief.

The two waited for the other to say a word, Sunako decided that there was no time for foolishness.

"Hey, are you done setting your room up?" She asked gently, but the tension showed in her voice.

Shouto sighed audibly, Sunako almost thought he'd glare at her, but he didn't.

"Yeah." His reply was oddly short, and it made Sunako nervous.

"You can um, come in." Sunako opened her door wider and stepped aside, Shouto wordlessly stepped in her room and looked around.

His gaze wasn't judging or scrutinizing of her room, rather, he seemed curious.

A beat of silence followed them, and Sunako absolutely hated it. She hated that they always go through silences like this. She wished she could do better.

"Why didn't you talk to me after what happened?" Shouto broke the silence.

-as you usually do... A following sentence occurred in Shouto's thoughts, but chose not to add it.

" 'after what happened'?" Sunako asked, not knowing if he knew that she went to the prison to have a talk with The Phantom.

"Aren't you glad your friends made it out alive? Or did you not know what went down?" Shouto said with a bite in his voice.

"You're distancing yourself again, did something happen?" Shouto asked gently this time.

Oh no.

Sunako didn't want to be reminded of that time at the prison. She was aware of her quirk slowly evolving into a monster that she may not be able to control. Every time she thinks about it, fear trickles down her spine.

You promised that you'll always tell him...you always trusted him anyway.

Her resolve crumbled at those thoughts. But the thought of adding more burdening worries to Shouto kept nagging at her.

Damn it, Sunako... I just want to know if you're okay.

A faint voice startled Sunako. It wasn't her thoughts, but she felt that it was probably Shouto's.

She blinked the tears away and sat down on her bed. Shouto followed her and sat on her desk chair.

"Why do we always have talks like this?" Sunako asked miserably.