Time's flight

Chapter 6- Time's flight

Morning came quickly for Artemis as she set out to visit one of her temples and visit her priestesses, it had been a while since she had visited any of the cities that worshiped her. 

Orion had woken much earlier than she had anticipated and had captured food for the first meal of the day, her hunters of course were not pleased with the male intruder but respecting their Lady they kept silent and went on with their day, ignoring said male. 

Walking towards the soft glow of the flames, Artemis noticed Orion already cooking the meal. She smiled at herself and sat beside him.

"Rabbit?" She asked, looking at the meat, and smiled as the smell hit her nostrils. It smelled delightful. Orion nodded and smiled as well.

They ate and laughed for a while, turning into close friends, unaware of prying eyes watching from the distance with a look of utter annoyance. Apollo watched as his sister mingled with a demigod, he did not like this Orion from the moment he first saw him with his sister that early morning.

***

Nighttime came fairly quickly and Artemis was smiling as she walked through the woods, hoping to catch something for dinner. Orion had excused himself and gone to bed early that night, so she went for a hunt.

She grew closer to the lake, and noticed a small campsite, from where she stood, she could see three small children eating while a horse calmly laid beside them, watching them with the most careful gaze she'd seen.

With curiosity, she stepped forward to ask the children what they were doing all alone, but she decided against it when a man emerged holding firewood. Artemis took a step back and went back to her camp.

On her way, she caught a beautiful deer and carried it on her shoulders. She entered the camp and was met with an eerie silence, most of her hunters would usually be hanging around the fire telling stories, but right now they were not. Placing down the deer near the fireplace Artemis walked in further.

"Girls?" Artemis called out. Nothing. She walked further in and was met with her hunters all huddle together telling stories in the dark. Artemis sighed with relief until a wave of concern hit her once more.

She followed her gut and walked into the wood, where a thick cluster of trees laid nearby. Orion laid on the ground, sleeping. But something about him felt different. Artemis walked back, leaving him sleeping on the ground.

'He's not the boy I met,'

"M'lady, are thou alright?" Artemis turned around to face one of her new hunters, Zoe. Plastering a smile, Artemis nodded as she took out the flute to look at it for the thousandth time. 

"A flute?  m'lady, thou play the flute?" Zoe eyed it intrigued by the intricate designs on the cider wood. Artemis shook her head and smiled as she held it close to her chest. 

"No Zoe," Artemis replied looking away.

****

Daylight filled the sky, as Apollo traveled with his chariot, down below he saw his sister, hunting with Orion. A scowl made its way onto his lips as he felt something odd from Orion himself.  He watched and glared. For the past month, Artemis has gotten too close to that demigod, and Apollo was not pleased with the way his sister was acting.

Normally, Apollo would let his sister be, but now with that sea-spawn, Apollo felt obligated to get rid of him.

Later that day, Apollo summoned his sister and decided to enlighten her to a friendly competition, and they prey unknown to Artemis was Orion who was enjoying a swim far towards the east side of the large lake, from where the twins stood, he looked like a simple animal from the distance.

"Come on, I bet I can shot better, Arty" Apollo teased, lightly shoving his sister with his shoulder. Artemis only responded with a glare and a huff.

"I'm the best archer, Apollo," Artemis said with a smirk as she prepped her bow to shot.  She aimed and let the arrow loose, from the distance she saw the silhouette of a man turn as it climbed out of the water and watch as the arrow neared until it struck.

  Orion was struck dead where he stood.

Artemis realizing who'd she struck turned to glare at her younger brother before jumping off the rocks and running towards the dead man.

_______________________________

Percy sat by the lake and watched everything unfold, much to his distaste, he believed Apollo did the right thing. Artemis would later find out the harsh truth about the sea-spawn.

Standing up, Percy gave one last glance before turning and walking towards the sleeping children, he gazed at them lovingly before letting his mind roam.

Earlier that day, his grandaughters had proposed an idea, he had originally dismissed it but now he was intrigued. However, the three children sleeping soundly kept him stuck as he questioned the possibility of doing such a thing.

He'd have to find these children a home first, but where?

Turning around Percy caught sight of a Pegasus staring at him before smiling.

"it's time to get going, friend. We have a lot to do," Percy gave one last glance back before the path that laid before him.

"My children, there is someone we must aid first,"

________________________

"How could you Apollo!" Artemis's tone frightened her hunters, who for the first time, sided with Apollo. Zoe, the lieutenant, only frowned and glanced between both gods, unwilling to side.

"M'lady, please calm down, 'twere only a filthy male,"

Artemis turned to look at her lieutenant and opened her mouth to retort when the sounds of footsteps caught their attention.

Apollo's eyes widen when a wave of power hit him full force.

Standing in the shadows stood Percy. Sea-green meet Apollo's bright sky blue eyes. The sun god trembled at the power, but from the shadows emerged a young lady, whose clothing was in shreds, her hair was in a mess. Her chocolate eyes were filled with tears as she weakly walked towards the goddess and god.

"Please, M'Lady," Stumbling and tripping over her own feet. The young lady winced in pain and bit her lip, holding back a small cry of pain.

"That man-" The girl began, as she turned her tainted eyes towards the new constellation of the dead son of Poseidon, as she took in a deep breath and began once more.

"I am Merope, A nymph. That man is a brute. Awful and unworthy of your affection M'lady Artemis. He took advantage of me, I am unclean because of the foul brute,"

Shocked, Artemis turned to her brother that was only paying attention to the thickness of the shadows.

Something was there and Apollo felt was drawn to it as if whatever laid beyond the shadows was someone worthy of many great things. Artemis ignored her brother and turned back to the nymph.

"Where did you come from, aren't you one of the Pleiades?" Artemis asked as she glanced around. This nymph shouldn't have been there.

Confirming her suppression when the nymph nodded and explained who she was. Artemis turned her eyes to the sky. The stars glimmered, and the constellation seemed to mock her.

Oh, what a grave mistake she had made, and her foolish stupidity bubbled in her chest; leaving her in a crumbling mess.

'Where is the boy I met?' Artemis clutched the flute and bit her bottom lip, casting her eyes back to the unfortunate nymph.

"You never answered my first question?" The mumble was almost incoherent leaving Apollo turned to his sister with a questioning gaze.

"I don't know,"