New Face

Everyone was silent as my sister stood in the center, with my hand still on her shoulder. However, after a good glance, something astonishing caught my eye. A blush was forming on her cheeks, and it was golden. It was barely noticeable under her pale skin, but it was there. 

Confused, I glanced towards Chiron. My mentor was now staring at me. We both assumed the same thing.

My sister was a new goddess. Who was her mother? I had no idea, but my father was hers as well.

I asked the young girl her name. The girl glanced at me before turning her body to face me.

"My name is Sophia, and I came looking for Percy Jackson," She says. I could hear Chiron telling the campers to return to their daily activities, leaving Sophia and me alone. The silence that fell over us both was heavy, and yet Sophia looked at me once, like if she was studying me.

"Well, you found him," I spoke, pointing to myself. A small smile spread across her face, turning away the once awkward silence.

"I know that, brother." I smiled awkwardly at her response, unable to come up with a proper response,

"The council has sent me to camp, despite my status. I am here to learn from you. They want the hero of Olympus to train this new goddess!" Her glee and excitement made me nervous because the majority of the council disliked me.

"Oh..." My witty response came to a whisper until I spoke again, this time louder.

"I guess that would be alright." I hesitantly accepted, looking at her with a concern probably written over my face because she gave me a funny expression. 

After that awkward conversation, both of us went to my cabin, where Sophia explained to me that Athena was her mother. That was surprising to me. It also meant that I was training my girlfriend's step-sister, who was also my step-sister. 

'Greek mythology; what a mess up,' I thought to myself.

"You know, mom thinks you could do better," The statement caught me off guard as I glanced at my sister. She was slowly walking, with her gaze aimed ahead. Her natural features made her look very serious and well-conducted, Making this conversation very real to me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. Sophia laughed, breaking that intense demeanor, and dug her hand into her pocket before looking at me.

"Mom claimed that Annabeth let her fatal flaw corrupt her. Hence she thinks you can do better." Her words shocked me. I had always thought that Athena would not have approved of me for her daughter. I was not expecting the other way around.

"Mom and Dad argued to figure out where to send me until aunt Hestia stepped in and suggested you."

"Is that how the council came to vote me in as a tutor?" My sister laughed and nodded, smacking me lightly on the shoulder.

"Mom agreed too. Oh, and here, she sends you this," She took her hand out of her pocket and handed me a necklace with a crescent moon on it, and in the center was an arrow.

"She also said that you have to figure out how to use it, as it is something only you can unlock." Confused, I accepted and stuffed it into my pocket.

"Now, it is time for you to train me, big bro," Sophia smiled and playfully shoved me.

As she walked ahead of me, I noticed Sophia's black hair shining in the sunlight-it had an undertone of red and gold, while mine was more like black ink. I tilted my head curiously as we walked, wondering silently as to her domains.

"Oh!" My sister came to a sudden halt, causing me to almost stumble against her back. Sophia turned and faced me with a big grin on her face.

"I expect you to train me with the bow and arrow!" My mouth dropped open at her statement. She playfully grasped my arm and began tugging me towards the arena, where other campers could be seen, training from this distance.

Without a chance to protest against the terrible idea, Sophia was always running like a bull towards the others.

Once my feet managed to touch the ground properly, I exhaled.

" What in Hade's underpants Sophia! " I dramatically clenched my chest as she was laughing, patting my back hard. I winced and stood up straight.

"Ow, you hit like a man!"

Sophia laughed before squeezing my arm.

"Say that again. I dare you!" I kept my mouth shut, feeling the threat looming over my head.

"Anyway, let's get started, though the bow is out the question. Trust me, I'm the worst person you could even think of teaching that,"  I confessed.

A few hours into training, Sophia stopped and turned to look at me. The conflicted look on her face caused me to sigh and walk over to her.

"I can't seem to get it right," Her heavy sigh caused me to give a small smile.

"Sophia, you will get it, but not without practice. You must keep working hard for it." I encouraged her, hoping to motivate her as she breathed in deeply. She grasped the hilt of her sword before exhaling, and then she swung her arms forward, arching them on time to make a swinging motion. The blade of the sword moved fast, appearing to curve before hitting the dummy. 

Finally, after another hour, Sophia was moving faster. Her muscle started reacting based on memory alone.  A loud sign of relief passed her lips as she turned to face me with excitement. 

"I did it!" A smile spread across my lips.

"You did great!" I praised, patting her head as she got closer to me. 

"You are an amazing teacher, I expect to learn more tomorrow!" At this point, Sophia was getting louder with excitement, causing other campers to turn and stare. Impressed, I excused us both and slowly started to push her towards the beach.

Usually, it was empty. But this time, I saw something that caused Sophia and me to stop in our tracks. 

Laying in the sand was Apollo, with his eyes closed, basking in the sun. He opens one of his eyes and glances at Sophia, before turning his head towards me. He must have sensed us before we noticed him.

"Hi cuz, how you doin?" He greeted with a half-wave before folding his hands under his head.

"Apollo, what are you doing here?" I asked, slowly approaching him.

"I made Arty mad, so I'm hiding," His blunt response caused a small laugh out of me as I plumped myself down beside the sky god.

"If you are scared of your sister, stop pissing her off," Apollo laughed and smacked some sand in my direction.

"Show some respect bro, I'm still a god." I gave a small snort and turned to look at Sophia, who had been standing aside looking awkward.

"Apollo, you already met Sophia right?" I asked. Apollo opened both his eyes and turned to look at her.

"Yeah, in the meeting where Zeus told her to come here. Oh, by the way, Have you talked to Chiron about the prophecy?" Apollo's tone changed into a serious one, getting my full attention as he sat up and dusted the sand off his glowing skin.

"No, I haven't," I answered honestly.  Apollo frowned and popped his neck before looking at me.

"Well, I suggest you start preparing yourself Percy, Zeus expects you to lead Sophia through it all. Her birth is odd enough." I knew what he meant. He was referring to the second line of the prophecy, or at least that's what we all believe.