Never Make A Promise 29

Hey, hey, hey! I totall found a theme song for this story! It's got the same title and everything! It's mostly about Damon's feelings toward Hayley, so it's a good one. Some of you may have heard of it and some of you may not have. I encourage you to listen to it, I really like it. It's on the side there> so yeah. Lol, like I promised, here is part 29.

<3 Nikky~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Damon and I got back to The Bed and Breakfast, it was already starting to get lighter outside and Seth's car was still out in the front. I can't believe that I really didn't notice his car sitting right there in front of the place before. It's so hard to miss with it's bright orange paint job. Yeah, Seth hated orange, but Jordan and I dared him to paint his car that color because he was bragging that he would be the first of us to get his own car. So we made a little bet with him saying that his 'dad' would put a five thousand dollar budget to it and he said that it would be at least double that. If he won, we had to wear chicken suits to school on a day of his choosing and if we won, he had to paint his new car orange. His 'dad' made him go on a five thousand dollar budget, so we won and he had to paint his car orange. Jordan and I teased him about it for days.

"We're back," Damon said.

"Guess so," I sighed.

"Let's get this, then," Damon said. We quietly made our way up to the door, which luckily for us was unlocked. But then again, when you think about it, who's going to break in to a house in a town that's this tiny? Not exactly a good idea if you don't want to get caught.

"Eh," I hesitated on sneaking my way up the stairs.

"Too late now, we're already inside. Let's go," he said, pulling on my hand. I groaned softly and followed him up. We tip toed to the room we were given and closed the door behind us. I plopped on the bed.

"I am so tired."

"Riding around in a car with people who kidnapped you can do that to a person," Damon mumbled. I gently kicked him and he chuckled. "Just go to sleep."

"I don't want to. I have to talk to Seth when he wakes up," I said sleepily.

"Do you know what time it is?"

"No."

"It's six in the morning."

"Already?!"

"We were riding around for a while," he said.

"Yeah but I didn't think we were doing that for...what time did we leave?"

"I don't know. Eight? Eight thrity?"

"And we're just getting back at six?"

"Well, there was being trapped between the gangs' cars, running through the woods, tracking you down, you guys made some pit stops, there's being there for that tire to blow out, knocking out the three guys that came out to fix it, knocking Jake out, getting you to calm down and stop trying to kick me, then there's that whole you read my journal thing-"

"Oh quit being such a girl, I only read two entries."

"That's what YOU say."

"Now you don't believe me," I muttered.

"And then there's walking back here added to the times we've stopped to take a rest."

"Remind me why we didn't bring all of our bags," I said.

"Did you really want to carry all of them all the way back here?" Of course! Just like we left the car there because we knew that they knew the car and we didn't want to risk the chance of them following us anymore. Ack, I left my clothes in those bags.

"I'm going to have to go clothes shopping."

"You didn't pack anything you really liked did you?"

"N-" I stopped before I got the word out as my hand flew to my neck. I felt the chain and dragged my hand down until it came over the pendant. Relieved I dropped my hand to the side. Wait, I thought as I put my hand in my back pocket. Stone was still there.....why didn't I use that as a weapon against Jake or Larry?! Ugh, I just LOVE how I think of these things AFTER I get out of the sticky situations. "No."

"You hesitated there," he said. I nodded and held my pendant out for him to see.

"This was my mom's and I was going to freak out if I left it in the trunk," I said. He took it between his fingers and examined it.

"This is pretty," he said, lowering it back to the base of my throat. "It was your mom's?"

"Yeah, it was," I nodded. "It's really the only thing that I have of hers." He pulled me in his arms and just held me there for a minute.

"Hayley," he said.

"Hmm?"

"I'm going to pass out at any given second."

"Me too," I said. He let me go and I went to lie down on the bed. I sighed as soon as my head hit the pillow. It was so COMFORTABLE! I fell asleep not too long after I set my head down on the pillow and I'm going to go ahead and guess that Damon wasn't too far behind on joining me with that. In my sleep, I had the most bizzare dream. Well was actually more of a nightmare.

"Hayley?" a voice whispered. I looked around at my surroundings, searching for the source. It was snowing and the snowflakes were getting caught in my eyelashes, brushing on my cheeks each time I blinked. "Hayley," it whispered again. This time, the voice echoed around me. It reminded me of a ghost voice in a horror movie. Suddenly, I felt a warm breeze on the back of my neck. I whirled around, but there wasn't anyone there. Okay, now I'm sure that I'm going crazy. Even in my dreams. How was I hearing a voice that I barely recognized and yet, there was no one there?

"Hello?" I said aloud. There was no answer, but there was a crunching noise behind me. I whirled back around and, once again, didn't see a thing.

"Hayley." the person called again.

"Who are you?" I whispered. It was more of a question for myself than who ever was calling me. Think, Hayley, think. You know that voice, you know you do. Who is it, though?

"Hayley." This time when the voice spoke, it was more clear. It didn't have that haunting edge to it and it didn't echo as much. I could tell that it was more feminine and right at that thought, the identity of the person became crystal clear.

"Mom?" I said, tears layered over my sight. It was her voice. There was no way that I could forget it.

"Hayley," she said, relieved like she had been searching for me all over the place. Then she came into my view. I knew her right away. I knew her dark brown hair, her fair skin- the same as my own, and I knew those green eyes. It was her. She smiled at me and walked to me until she was a good touching distance away.

"Mom," I whispered through a thick voice. She was really here.

"It's me," she said. Then out of nowhere, she just screamed and collapsed to the ground. Blood seeped into the snow around her and I suddenly became very dizzy. There was a scream, but it didn't come from my mother this time. It came from me.

"Wake up," I told myself. "Wake up, wake up, wake up." No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to get myself to wake up. The screaming continued with me not having a clue who was continuing it because it wasn't me and it wasn't my mom.

"Just wake up," a creepy voice hissed. Whoa.

"What the hell do you think I'm doing?" I muttered grouchily. There was no waking up for some reason for me. I tried pinching myself, slapping myself, punching myself, kicking things, screaming, yanking my hair, and stomping my feet and jumping. "WAKE UP!"

"Hayley?"

"Is she alright?"

"She's fine, I think she's just having a nightmare."

"Hayley doesn't have nightmares, does she?"

"As you can see, Seth, she does. This is her second one since I've been with her."

"Does she usually scream like this?"

"Last time she did. It took me a little while to wake her up from it, but I got her up."

"Well, what did you do last time?" Who were these people? Why were they talking? Didn't they know that I wanted to sleep right now? I felt someone's hands on my face and I tried shaking my head from side to side, but they didn't let go. I resorted to hitting and scratching them.

"Yep, she's up," Damon sighed. The hands were removed from my face and I opened my eyes. Damon, Seth, Stuart, and Ella were all looking at me with either curious or concerned looks on their faces.

"What happened?" I asked mainly Damon. He shrugged.

"You tell me. From my point of view, the same thing that happened the last time, happened just now."

"Great," I mumbled, sitting up.

"Darlin', you don't look so good. Why don't I get ya a class of orange juice?"

"Thank you, Ella," I said. She smiled and left the room, a very awkward looking Stuart not far behind her. Seth stood by the door, arms crossed and that curious look mixed with the concerned one etched on his face.

"What was that about?" he asked me.

"Nighmare," I said easily. "That's all."

"I didn't know you had nightmares," he said.

"Yeah and I didn't know that you slept with a nightlight until you were fifteen," I retorted.

"WELL!"

"It's the truth."

"It's not that I needed it, per say. Just that I liked the shape of the...the-the...shut up, Hayley," he said, hanging his head.

"Yeah, okay," I rolled my eyes.

"Hey Seth?" Damon said. Seth looked right up at him. For some reason, I had the stinging feeling that he was going to tell Seth to leave us alone so he could talk to me, but then the idea of Seth driving us back to Aspen came to mind. The idea that I wasn't entirely fond of.

"Yes?" Seth said pleasantly.

"We were kind of wondering...."

"Psh, HE was wondering."

"When you were going back to Aspen," Damon said, glaring at me a bit.

"Oh, probably the day after tomorrow. Why?"

"I hope this isn't too much to ask, but my car just-"

"His car smells like fish," I said. Seth snorted and Damon just gave me a weird look. I shrugged at him. I would like to see him come up with a better excuse than that. If he said there was something wrong with it, then Stuart would want to help us get it fixed, and telling Seth we ditched it somewhere would make us look just plain out bring up an uncomfortable topic.

"His....car smells like fish?" Seth repeated.

"Yeah. Just smells horrible. Not the 'hm, someone had fish' smell. I mean the flat out 'oh my god, these people had fish and it smells like it spoiled' smell."

"That bad?"

"That bad," Damon said.

"Well, like I said before, I'm not going right to Aspen. I'm going to-"

"Bowling Green, I know," I said. "I could probably see him again."

"You don't have to," Seth said quickly. "You and Damon could just wait out by the car or something."

"I like that idea a bit better," I said. "But, you guys know me. I'm probably going to end up going inside anyway."

"You can decide when we get there," he assured me. I nodded.

"So you'll give us a ride there?"

"Eh, what the hell? Why not?" he shrugged. "But we're leaving right after breakfast. I need my food and energy."

"Of course you do," I said. Honestly, I wasn't all that hungry right now.

"Okay, I'm going to go down and get some," he said. "See you guys in a bit!" He left Damon and me alone in our room in silence. For a little while at least.

"Wanna talk about it?" Damon asked me.

"It was just a dream," I said. A somewhat freaky one.

"About?"

"My mom," I sighed. He sat down on the bed next to me and held me in his arms. Sometimes that's just all it takes for people. For them to know that there's someone there for them to listen to their problems or even just to be a shoulder to cry on. I was glad that I had someone like that and I was even happier that that person was Damon.

"Do you want breakfast?" he asked after a long while.

"Not really," I said. "But don't let me stop you from getting some. Just go and I'll chill out in here."

"I don't have to go down," he said.

"Yes, you do. You're hungry, I know you are."

"By the way, you missed dessert last night," he said. I raised an eyebrow. "Ella makes the best chocolate cake in the world." I laughed at that. At first, I thought he was talking about the OTHER 'dessert'.

"Well, I'm going to miss it again."

"That's true. I smell pancakes."

"Go get pancakes!"

"I'll bring something up for you, I swear!" he said. I flinched a bit before he left. Yeah I said that I was working on geting over the whole promise thing, but I wasn't going to be able to drop it over night. Thanks to you, Uncle freaking Ed. His reason just wasn't good enough for me. The reason of him being annoyed at Mom not letting Dad see me when he came to the hotel in Florida. And what right did Mom have to take away my father from me? Did she know how messed up that made me? Was she watching over me? Why didn't she let me see him? Speaking of which, I was going to have to talk to him eventually. Not for him, for me. I had to know why he didn't come find me after he found out about Mom. He did know about Mom, didn't he? The first thing I was going to have to do when I got back to Aspen, was dig that little sticky note out from where ever and call him. And THAT is a promise to myself.