Never Make A Promise 15

"No," I answered.

"What? A pretty girl like you has never had a boyfriend? Why not?" he asked, shocked.

"Because," I said simply. Because of my phobia of promises. If a guy really loved me and promised to be with me forever.......well I would have a hard time trusting him with that. There were two promises I really didn't want to hear again. 'I promise I'll find you' and 'I promise to never hurt you.' And that last one was guranteed to be heard. The fact that those two promises were broken hurt me more that anyone could think. You know the saying 'third time's the charm?' That was the last thing I needed. I didn't want to take the chance of getting hurt again and even if I did, what would happen if that promise was broken? I know that if it was a tiy one, like someone buying me a soda or something, it wouldn't hurt, but if it was a big promise like the two I hated most- I would be destroyed.

"Because why?" Damon questioned.

"I never wanted one," I lied. Who doesn't want a boyfriend at this age? Especially if you've never had one. Then again, I really didn't feel like explaining to Damon the real reason why.

"Because of your phobia?" he asked. I stared at him. What was he, a freaking mind reader?

"You don't want to re-explain it, do you?"

"I......" Now I was really sure he was a mind reader. I want tacos.

"Let's get to work on this project," he said, changing the subject. Huh. Guess he wasn't a mind reader after all.

Days passed and we didn't hear or see anything from Jake or anyone else Damon knew was in the gang. I guess Larry's been too busy to keep tabs on his brother because by the sound of it, he's been less of a creeper. Then again, we were taking his warning into account. The one where he was all 'they're always watching.' I officially was creeped out with that kid at that point. It was the last day of school before winter break and Damon and I were just informed by our teacher that we had just gotten an A, when Jordan broke the news.

"I hear there's gonna be another new kid as soon as school starts again," he whispered to me as Molly and Jane started presenting.

"Again, I'm already fed up with this one," I teased, jabbing a thumb in Damon's direction. He and I had been talking more, mostly because of the project, but I think it's safe to say that we're friends. He's still an annoying flirt and I remain the only girl who resists him.

"Ha ha," Damon said sarcastically.

"So lovebirds, you never told me when the wedding was," Seth said suddenly.

"Seth!"

"Oh, I don't know. We haven't set a date, but we're thinking June nineteenth, aren't we darling?" Damon said, putting an arm around me. I felt my face heat up and I flared at the grinning boys around me.

"You will all die."

"You're blushing! I almost never see you blush!" Jordan whispered. Oh Jordan, if I could reach you I would strangle you, I thought.

"Shut up," I mumbled, taking Damon's arm off me. I turned my attention to Molly and Jane's presentation. I can't believe that I just blushed.

The day passed by uneventfully and I got home to an empty house, but that was soon taken care of when the doorbell rang. Thinking it was Jordan, I whipped the door open to a grinning Damon.

"Oh, gross," I groaned.

"Well, that's not a very nice greeting at all, now is it?" he asked, coming in. Yeah, he had been coming over so often that he didn't wait for me to tell him to come in, he just came in on his own free will.