Never Make A Promise 18

Damon didn't speak to me for the rest of the night after the pillow fight we had and I was trying to decide if he was more mad at me or himself. Then again, he didn't really have a reason to be mad at me, besides the fact that I won our little pillow fight. But he wasn't mad about that. Or so he said. We went to sleep at different times. I'm not sure how late he stayed up because when I woke up the next day and came out to the main room, at ten in the morning, he was still fast asleep. I decided not to wake him up and order room service. Now what sounded like something Damon would like? I skimmed the menu and tried to think of what he would want. In the end, I just ended up getting two breakfast plates which consisted of toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon. Oh, and coffee. When room service came, Damon was still asleep. All those days of driving must have finally caught up to him. I quietly turned the t.v. on and started flipping through channels, trying to find something good to watch at the same time as trying not to wake him. Who knows how crabby this guy could get in the morning? When I gave up on finding something decent and just decided to watch, well I don't know what this was exactly, after an hour, I decided to call Jordan. I walked to the bedroom, grabbed my phone and noticed that I had quite a few missed calls. All from my friends along with voicemails and several text messages.

"Uh oh," I said to myself. They must think I'm dead or something. I called Jordan first and he answered instantly.

"Hayley?"

"Wow, it's been a while since you answered with something other than a color," I teased. He sighed.

"Where are you? We've been calling you all morning and Seth even went to your house like twenty minutes ago," he said. Seth went to my house? Not that...well I hope that Jake and those guys didn't have my house under surveillance after getting the hint that I was not there.

"When did he go to my house?"

"Just this morning. He was going to scare the crap out of you and make you fall out of your bed. But he saw you weren't there."

"How'd he get in the house?"

"Spare key," he said in that tone of voice that said 'duh, stupid!'

"Crap," I whispered. I had forgotten about that damn spare key that Joyce had hidden under the plant right outside the door. What if they found that? What if they were watching my house and they saw Seth get that key and now they knew where it was? Damn, I thought.

"What'd you say?" Jordan asked, snapping me back.

"Uh.....nap...I need a nap," I lied. Pathetic excuse for a lie, but it was the first thing I could think of that rhymed with crap.

"Dude, it's like nine thirty. What do you need a nap for?" That's right, I forgot the time difference.

"I didn't really get much sleep."

"Where are you anyway?" he asked. I quickly glanced around hoping to find an idea for a lie. I couldn't have him know about Damon's secret or about the whole 'the gang is coming after me because I'm........something to Damon.' Even if he was my best friend, I still didn't want him in this. Who knows what these guys would do to him or Seth? I didn't want to take chances with it.

"I completely forgot to tell you! Joyce wanted me to come to Chicago with her because she was going to be gone longer than she thought. So I'm at the hotel we're staying at right now," I sad. It came out so easily that it scared me. This wasn't a habit I wanted to get into, for sure. But for now, I would have to suck it up and lie my butt off to my best friends.

"Oh, that would explain why you weren't home," he said.

"Yeah, sorry I forgot to let you know," I said.