Spume

(JJ)

Do you ever just imagine shit to yourself- like, "Shit; Maybe one day I'll fuck around and become a member of Chase Atlantic."
I do. All the time. Sometimes I think I could go down another path. Choose not to get myself into predicaments that end in torture.
Honestly, I don't know how I'm not dead right now.
I'm pressing a wet cloth on my throat. Yup. Just as uncomfortable as it sounds.

"Now, how'd you go get yourself in a brawl with those three kook boys?"

His voice was harsh and impatient.
I could hear him muttering to himself.

"...so stupid...."
"...such a disappointment...."
"...fucking piece of crap..."

I taught myself to not take his insults seriously. Even if they hit too close to home.

"Dad-"

He spun around, pointing his finger all up in my face.

"Do you know how fucking infuriating it is to have to keep watch on you? You're acting like a goddamn animal, JJ!" The clatter from a few beer cans could be heard from the impact of his boot.

I couldn't make eye contact with him. He'd punch me in the face right then and there. I may not be Einstein, but I'm smarter than that. I could hear cans and bottles being tossed and smashed around the house. God, he was in a rage. Not like he wasn't always. The only reason he wasn't beating me to a pulp right now, is because I already got my fair dose from Topper. I never understood why Dad hasn't killed me yet. Does he like to see me suffer?
So he settled with mental abuse instead.
...
Douche.

"Take the fuckin' pills and get out. They'll cure you of that stupid headache you're complainin' about."

He gestured to the bathroom, furious. I obeyed him. I was shaking, but I managed to pry the rusty cabinet door open. I got what I needed. I could hear him mumbling more nothings about how I should've died and not Mom.

Before opening the door, it came out of me. I don't know why. I don't know where it came from.

"You would've been so much happier if Mom was here. I've never seen you joyful once in my entire 16 years of living with you."

Without turning around, I pushed the screen door open, and started jogging back to the chateau.
But before, I could feel his eyes on me.
And I thought he was going to hurt me.
But he didn't. He stood there silently.

That's the first time in my goddamn life I've ever gotten through to him.

-

(Kiara)

'She shivered in the pale moonlight, as he began to trace his fingertips against her inner thigh. He slowly, but surely, started pulling her panties off-"

"Kiara?"

Before I could say anything, my book fell flat on my face.
God. Sometimes, I fucking hate my mom.

She knocked a couple of times before letting herself in. I quickly stuffed the book under my pillow.
She sat on the edge of my bed, her eyes filled with concern.

"Hey, sweetheart. How are you holding up?"

I sat up, sitting cross legged. I made sure not to make eye contact with her. I could feel her staring at me. She tried to reach out and stroke my hair, as she'd always done when I was upset. But I pulled away.

"Kiara. What's going on with you?" Her voice made me want to smash my head against the wall.

"Nothing." I made sure to mumble. She hates when I do that. She scoffed, and turned away. Ha. Bitch.

"Well, your father and I think it would be best if you spent more time with us. Maybe take a break from seeing those...friends of yours." She hesitated before saying the last part, hinted with disgust.

"Pope, JJ, and Joh- Pope and JJ, are my best friends. They'd die for me. I'd die for them. You don't understand, because your head is too far up Ward Cameron's ass." I emphasized 'ass' at the end. I guess something snapped in her, because she roughly gripped my wrist.

"Mom- ow! What the fuck?"

I was forced to look into her eyes. Her lips were pursed into a thin line, and her eyebrows were creased.

"You never talk to me like that again, you understand?"

I couldn't find the words to say, so I couldn't do anything but stare helplessly at her.

"And you will stay away from those boys. This is non negotiable." She let go, my wrist feeling sore from her strong grip.

"Get the fuck out of my room."

With the clack of her heels, and the loud bang of the door slamming, I grabbed my pillow and decided to let myself cry.
Who does she think she is? Pope and JJ are basically the only things keeping me from ending it all. And I think all three of us felt the same connection.
I wasn't going to stay here. I couldn't.
We never really used our phones, since the reception on the island was always pure shit. All we could do was listen to music, search stuff, text, and sometimes call. Pretty great, huh?
I frantically searched for Pope's contact, and let my fingers do the work.

K- 'mom basically imprisoned my ass. dk what to do. can u and jj help me out? think of an excuse to steal me for a while.'

Ok. Sent.

Shit. I forgot Pope wasn't allowed to use his phone after 9. I guess the rush of it all distracted me.
My only option was JJ. My hand was shaky typing in his contact.

K- 'hey'

I waited for about two minutes, or so, and got a response.

J- 'U gud?'

K- "p not on his phone rn. she devil is keeping me here. not letting me hang w u guys. can u and pope think of a plan to get me out of here? i'm going to lose my mind'

J- "Got u. I'll meet w bill nye tmrw. Discuss ideas."

I couldn't keep in the laugh that escaped my body.

K- 'lmao, bill nye?'

J- 'Lol I never rlly call him that, j a nickname bc he's smart af'

K- 'weirdo.'

J- 'Says u'

K- 'i'm going to sleep. talk tmrw?'

10 minutes passed before his next response.

J- '<3'

I found myself smiling way too big at the last message. I left him on read to make him squirm, and powered my phone off. I wasn't catching feelings for him. I loved Pope.
That's just how JJ always acts. Flirty.
...right?

(JJ)

Fuck. This is harder than I thought.

Scratch what I said about leaving Kiara alone.