The Coastal Venture Pt. 1

-

(JJ)

"Kie, what the fuck?! What the fuck?!??"

I can't describe the feelings brewing inside. They're all jumbled and I can barely speak.

I didn't even begin to recognize the grief of losing my best friend. It feels like it just turned into stuff that I couldn't reach for anymore.

But this, if there was the possibility that he's still out there,

Then this was it.

"JJ, we gotta tell Pope."

Her voice is shaky and it sounds like breaking glass. I nod briefly and I scrunch the bandana in one of my fists, feeling the rough fabric against my fingertips.

I think I may throw up. None of this feels real.

"...look really pale..."

Are the last few words I hear, before I feel the acids brewing in my stomach, twisting and turning over each other and I projectile vomit all over the sand now in front of me. I don't even notice I stumbled and now I'm on my fucking hands and knees like a child. I feel lost. I feel hope.

What do I fucking feel?

A hand lightly grazes my back and I feel goosebumps growing across my body.

"It's alright."

I turn my gaze to Kie, who is no longer naked- her tropical flower print shirt hangs lazily over her neck, exposing one of her shoulders and her jean shorts are deep navy with sea water.

"This is a good sign. We've been doing everything right. We're going to look as hard as we can, Jayge."

I muster up a noise that's inaudible before I let out a disgusting burp that has Kie erupting into giggles.

And I also realize I'm still completely naked.

-

(Kiara)

There was some sort of adrenaline rushing through my body. I didn't even feel sad, upset, worried.

I was so determined, my other emotions couldn't even enter.

We had looked for a sign, any sort of sign that John B and Sarah could be alive. And it appeared right in front of us, mid-about-to-fuck.

We'd deal with all that later.

I'm just lightly rubbing JJ's naked back, his muscles tensing and releasing after every gag. He hangs his tangled hair low. His face pale.

The sun has begun to spread across the beach, the orange and pink light overriding the navy hues and little sparkly stars.

"Jesus, I need to put some fuckin' pants on."

JJ's voice is hoarse and smoky, and he pushes off of the sand and rises clumsily. He looks right and left briefly before spotting his grey boxers and camo cargo shorts.

He's just pulled them up on his lower half goofily before we hear someone.

"Why the hell are you two soaking wet?"

Pope, rubbing his face with both hands sleepily, makes his way down the little wooden staircase to the beach. His under eyes are puffy and his eyebrows are knit together.

I glance in JJ's direction- and he opens his mouth and holds up a pointer finger before I cut him off.

"We were looking for this." I hold out my hand, and JJ strides over and places the now-drying bandana in my palm. Pope's eyes widen, his signature expression when he's seen something out of the ordinary.