The Raft

extra long chapter in honor of the OUTER BANKS SEASON 2 TRAILER GETTING RELEASED! go watch it on their insta. love y'all. cant wait for summer.

(JJ)

The wind was needling my face. It cut through my skin.
I was at the bow of the boat, standing wobbly on two legs. Trying my best not to tumble forwards as I had done once before, a million years ago. Spilling beer in Ki's hair.
I pulled my shirt over my head, throwing it backward, which she caught. Heh.
I spread my arms out, fucking eagle style. I felt like I was flying.
I let my tongue hang out of my mouth, feeling the sharp drips of sea water against my tastebuds. The sky was covered in a blanket of navy storm clouds. You could barely see the stars.
Damn. I sound poetic, don't I?
Hell, I even felt like stripping down all the way to my socks. I'd just pull my boxers off, and go commando. I'd let the ocean have them as a present. Maybe I'll turn into fucking Santa Clause. Merry Christmas, motherfucker.

The gale had made me stumble backward a few times, but who was afraid of it? Not this asshole.
Pope and his hands on the wheel, including that determined state. Kiara at the cockpit, eyes shut, feeling the sea air brush on her cheeks.
It began to lightly rain, before it started to beat down on everyone. We were all drenched.
The best thing about it, though-
Was that it was warm rain.
It felt like electricity. I felt like a superhero...

And for the first time in forever,

I felt alive.

I felt nothing, but truly alive.

-

(Kiara)

"So... anyone got any bright ideas?"

Heaps of rain began to pour down on the already damp sand, and the air was warm. So was the rain. It felt like electricity. Maybe I felt like a superhero.

Pope removed his hat from his head and squeezed at it, releasing trapped water.

JJ had taken his shirt off. Water droplets were running all the way down his toned stomach down into his swimming trunks. His v line was sharp; it looked like it could cut through glass.

His ringed hands were balled into fists, knuckles turning white.

"Fuck!" He yelled, kicking the sand. "I totally thought we would've gotten to Nassau."

I squeezed his shoulder, exchanging a glance with him. I gave him a reassuring smile, and he just gazed at me sadly. Longingly.

"It's okay. You didn't know. I don't think any of us knew where it was." I found myself starting to giggle, in which Pope and JJ joined in.

My hair was sticking to the sides of my face and shoulders. The clouds were blanketing the sky, covering it up in dark spots. There was a small moment of silence. No one spoke. We just stared up at the clouded sky, taking in the grey colors and warm humidity.

"...anyone got a ukulele?"

Pope turned around to face JJ, gazing at him sardonically.

"Really, dude?"

JJ shrugged his shoulders lazily and dropped to the ground, lying on his stomach. "I'm bored. Maybe I should try to blow myself."

"Ki?" Pope said softly, ignoring JJ and making his way over to me. "Can we talk for a bit?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, fidgeting with the friendship bracelet on my right wrist. I noticed every little detail. I pulled at a loose string.

"Yeah, sure." I mumbled, not making eye contact. We left our last talk unfinished on the boat.