Cruelty

Rengoku had been commuting to his brother's home every 5 days or so. He began his breathing training as well. Over a period of a year, he trained Tanjiro's young body into a pinnacle of human fitness. Tanjiro has also mastered the basics of Concentration Breathing. Now he is to learn the ways of the flame.

"Right! Perform Concentration Breathing!" He ordered. Tanjiro nodded. He breathed in deeply, clenched his teeth. "Good. Good. Now then, tense your stomach like a taught you. Feel the heat your generating. Feel it burn. Feel it ignite and crackle." He encouraged. Tanjiro did as told but something was wrong.

"Elder Brother?"

"Yes?"

"*Cough* I smell smoke *cough*."

Kyojuro observed his surroundings, using his own breathing to help his senses. "I do not smell anything? Wait! Stop your breathing, Tantan!" He commanded. Tanjiro stopped. "Tell me what you felt. Was your chest tightening up?" He queried worriedly.

"Mhm." Tanjiro nodded his head while coughing. "My god... Do you remember what I told you about the body parts associated with the core breaths?"

"Flame starts in the Chest and rises to the heart. Water flows from the chest and into the stomach. Rock forms in the waist and rolls to the legs. Wind starts in the throat and careens throughout the body. Thunder starts at the heart and races to the feet." He detailed.

"Yes. I have a theory. Do what you were doing, but slower." He suggested. Tanjiro did as told. He breathed slowly. The vapour usually formed during CB was turned to smoke. "Hmm. It's as I thought. Tanjiro! It would seem you have an innate preference for water that is clashing with her hereditary deposition for fire! Usually, one would overpower the other, but... Your special. They've balanced out and created a new Breathing Variant. The second variant born from Flame Breathing!" He declared. Tanjiro's eyes were filled with confusion.

"So... I can't use fire like you, Kyo?" He whimpered. "No, Tantan...but, you have the chance to create something new! Something better! Now, what will you call it?"

Tanjiro thought for a second. When he burned wood, after some time he'd dose it with water and it turned to coal. But if he didn't cover it... it turned to...

"Ash Breathing!"

Tanjiro spent the rest of the year honing his abilities, using a bronze sword brought to him by Kyojuro. He has devised 3 breathing forms, which he based on his brother's movements. Kyojuro also began trianing Nezuko in the art of Breathnig but she has an affinity for Water so he couldnt give her any training in elements. Unfortunately, during this time, Tanjiro lost his dear father to the harsh reality of this world. Life ends.

Tanjiro was down the mountain, selling coal for his family. After losing his father, this 16 year old boy became the breadwinner of the family. He was selling coal and waiting for Kyojuro. He was supposed be coming over to celebrate the new year with the family. Senjuro had also sent a letter so Tanjiro was very eager to see his 'cousin' as the locals know his brother. 

He left late at night to capitalise on the yearly celebration setup. He stayed out until 6 in the morning when his brother arrived. "Kyo!" He hollered at the Hashira. "Ah, Tantan. Yare yare, you've grown alot. Sorry i couldnt visit you alot this year." He apologized. "Nah, it's alright. C'mon! It's already New Years! Mom and the others are waiting!"

The two siblings trotted up the mountain. Kyojuro began rambling about his many exploits and how he the Mansion Of Flame had been renovated. The Mansion of Flame is a Rengoku estate for all Flame Breath users to be healed and use as a hub for missions. It also houses the Hashira and high level Slayers. As they talked, an odd smell whsiked past Tanjiro's hound-like nose. "Kyojuro *sniff* I smell blood."

"Oh shit."

He grabbed Tanjiro and placed his on his back. Using breathing, he blasted off with inhuman speed. He only stopped when they were close to the Kamado home. Tanjiro ran on foot to see a tall man with cat eyes and wearing a fedorra. The man was about to kill Nezuko with his devilish hands when he heard, "Breath of Flame! First Form: Unknowing Flame!"

Rengoku, in the blink of an eye, sliced the demon's head off... But it didnt die. "I was starting to like this head." He spoke. Rengoku was needless to say, terrified. A demon that survived decaptiation via nichirin sword... Muzan! The sun began to shine and the body of the headlesss Muzan retreated. Rengoku let him go, knowing he was needed here and taht he as no chacne of defeating him alone.

"Nezuko!" Tanjiro screamed. He ran to his little sister and felt her pulse. She was alive. Same cant be sayed for the others. Rengoku took one look insdie. It was a bloody massacre. Heads were missing bodies. Bodies were slumped against the wall. When Tanjiro saw... he didn't cry. He didn't scream. He didnt even show sadness. "Kyojuro..."

"Yes, Tanjiro?"

"When is the next Final Selection?"

"In 6 months."

"How long will it take to train Nezuko?"

"Around 6 months to learn an element."

"Good."

Tanjiro and Nezuko were taken away to the Mansion of Flame. Nezuko has awoken... unfortunaltey, the trauma of seing her family slaughtered caused her to becoem a selective mute. Now, Rengoku was brought before the other Hashira.

"What is the meaning of this!?" He exploded. He was infront of the other Hashria while Tanjiro was blindfolded and gagged. "This boy smells just like a demon. We can all smell it. He was found in your abode." Answered Iguro. "You will release him at once!" Kyojuro ordered. "Do you know this boy, Rengoku-san?" Asked Kocho. 

"That is none of your business! Now release him!" He fumed agrily. "Rengoku-kun, please tell us why this boy smells so strongly of demons?" Ordered Himejima. "Sigh. He's my half borther. And i love him dearly. I've been visitng him since he was 10. On new years, i visited. But... his family was slaughterd by a demon who could survive without a head. I belive it was Muzan." He explained. Everyone was silent. "Now then. Obanai Iguro! Release my little brother before i whoop your sorry ass so hard you'd want to go back that cage of yours... Believe me, I am VERY capable." He threatened with a deathly stare and voice.

Mitsuri mind: Eeeee he's so cute when he's angry! It's kinda hot.

Noone has ever heard Kyojuro angry, let alone threatning his fellow swordsmen."F-fine." He conceded and released Tanjiro. "Thanks." Tanjiro thanked sarcastically. Kyojuro stepped to his sibling. "Where you hurt?" He inwuired. "No."

"Good. So i don't have to break any kneecaps."

Words 1118

Posted 22/5/2021