Choices

As Doma say on his thrown, his thoughts became more and more disturbing. He had a plan. A plan to end this needless suffering. It had been 6 months since he captured Tanjiro. It was the worst decision of his life. He never wanted to cause such pain and anguish. He thought about the people who had already accepted his death. Only if they knew he was being used as a lab rat.

Sometime in the past

"Y'know, Doma. You've always been nice to me. Thanks." Tanjiro appreciated. "Aw shucks. I'm just doing as Muzan-sama commands." He brushed off. "Sure. And Muzan told you to give me a bedsheet. And Muzan told you to give me better meals... And Muzan told you to be my primary guard. Ha! Get over yourself."

"Heh. You saw right through me." He sighed with a smile.

"So why?" Tanjiro queried suspiciously.

"I made a promise to someone I love. I promised I'd change my ways. She saw good in me. She believed in me and devoted herself to me. It's my end of the bargain."

"So, wanna do the right thing?"

"I know what you are thinking... And I'll have to think about it."

"It's been a pleasure speaking with you."

Back to real-time

"My Lord." One of his attendants called. "Yes, Umaki-san?" "Is my lady not feeling well? Is she still sick?" She queried. "Ah, yes. She is. I'll go check on her."

Doma ascended.

He retreated to his room where his beautiful wife slept in bed wearing a thin robe. "Doma-kun? Need something?" She asked. He collapsed at her bedside. "I... I don't know what to do." He said plainly. "What happened?"

"I have a choice. Whether to betray Muzan-sama... Or to help the demon slayer corps. I've wanted this opportunity for so long... But I'm scared." He whimpered. His wife stood up and smile. "You know I'd want you to leave that monster, but I'll leave the choice up to you."

Doma basically broke down crying. "That's the problem! I'm scared! I'm scared I might screw it up." He cried, clinging to her legs. "I'm just a disgusting Demon who kidnapped a dying woman and freaking brainwashed her into loving me! If I even show my face to them I'd be dead at the moment. But I don't want to leave without you." He sobbed.

"Doma my love, you've made so many changes for me. You only eat criminals. You stopped seducing young women. You began doing good things. And I love you for that. And, you won't lose me. I may be a former Hashira... but I'm your wife. I will stand by any decision you make." She cooed while rubbing his head. Doma smiled and dried his tears.

"You really are a kind woman, Kanae-chan."

"I know. If you do decide to help the Demon Slayers, I will be resuming my post as a Hashira. And I promise I will protect you." She noted. "Thank you."

Doma exited and said to his attendant, "I'll be leaving now."

With Tanjiro

He was still trying to formulate a plan. He had successfully manipulated Daki into getting stronger and more independent. Slowly but surely, she outpaced her brother but didn't make her power public knowledge. 

So, yeah. Tanjiro isn't as nice as you think he is. "Daki-chan! It's been a while... Oh! Did you get stronger!? I can feel the power radiating. It's intoxicating." Tanjiro breathed with a chuckle. "I... I did." She answered. "Good, very good. I'm proud. So, did you kill your brother?"

"I told you I-"

"Shut the hell up! You have a prime opportunity to serve Muzan to the full. Yet you are still afraid."

"I'm not afraid!" She argued. "I... I don't want to be responsible for the atrocities I'd have to commit... it's too much, even for me. If I stay, I can just say he's making me do it." She explained. "Then, join me. Join the Demon Slayers." He offered. "W-what...I'd be killed in an instant." She protested. "Imagine, the words of a trusted Hashira coming to your aid, my dear Ume."

"...What's in it for me?"

"I get your loyalty, you get my protection. What better of a deal is that?"

"I'll think about it."

She left without seeing the gaping grin on Tanjiro's face. "Making deals with the enemy... I have fallen so far. Ahah!"

Later in the day, Doma visited. "I have a plan to get you out. I know where to find a flower that will shield me from the sun. I also have a former Hashira at my disposal. If you swear that you won't betray me, I'll get you free."

"Hmm. Yes yes. I accept. Now, try to convince Ume."

"Ume?"

"You think I wouldn't try my luck? Why do you think she's stronger now?"

"You've been manipulating her?"

"I am half a demon after all. It's in my best nature."

"You slimy son of a bitch. We are definitely destined to be friends."

"So it would seem."

"I'll be working on the serum. When it's complete, we escape."

"Good. I'm looking forward to it."

Words 835 

Posted 6/9/2021