Dusk Till Dawn

Early in the morning, Shinobu awoke to the shuffling of her mate. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Good morning, Tanji-Kun." She yawned. "Morning love. I'm going to be leaving now. You can sleep a little more."

"Mmm. What time is it?"

"Midnight. I'm meeting up with my sector Vanguard. Please go back to sleep."

Suddenly the memories of hours prior began returning to her. She smiled. "Tanjiro was mine alone for hours on end filled with pleasure and romantically bliss... "

Tanjiro kissed her forehead. "You are the only woman who's made me feel so happy since my family died. I'd do anything to make you feel better. Now go to sleep." He ordered. "One more."

Tanjiro smirked and tapped her lips gently. "I'll return near sundown. Do not stay up for me if I do not return by then."

He left through the window. Shinobu held her stomach. "He's doing this for me... I can't wait until I can carry his child without fear of losing him." She sighed.

On the outside, Tanjiro met up with his Vanguard. "I'm pleased you made it." He announced.

They all looked at him. 3 Mt Natagumo survivors including Mureta, 3 fresh from Final Selection and two 'veterans' in the form of Zenitsu and Inosuke. Including Tanjiro, this made 12.

"As my Vanguard, you are to stay inside my region at all times. I want daily reports regarding your location, status and demon activity levels. I want a report after every battle. After week one group and I will rendezvous for training. Am I clear?"

One of the newest raised her hand. She had short white hair and wore the standard uniform. "Kamado-san. What is the purpose of sending the reports?" She asked. "Well... Sakura was it?"

"Y-you know my name, sir?" She stuttered. "I hand chose you all. Sakura Moji, Kanto Yoshida, Hanako Tayero, Kyoka Juto, Mureta Sayunada, Nakame Funehawa, Zenitsu Agamatsu and Inosuke Hashibira."

Them: omg he knows our names!

"As for your question, Sakura. These are so I can have a better understanding of my surroundings and gives me a tactical advantage. Now, for the formations.

Team 1: Sakura, Kanto and Inosuke

Team 2: Murata, Nakame and Hanako

Team 3: Me, Zenitsu and Kyoka

Now, I want you all to bond and be like family. It makes it easier in battle. And now I will recite this totally flamboyant life priority. Decent people, then your teammates, then yourself, then me or your superiors. If someone is your superior then their life is none of your business. In each squad is a good mix of new blood and experience. Murata and Insouke, as the most experienced you'll lead your respective squads."

They nodded in acknowledgement. "Inosuke, take the West. Murata, the east. My squad's location will be undisclosed. Now go."

He watched as they disappeared into the bush under the moonlight. His squad began walking through on the path. "Zenitsu." He called. "Y-yes, sir?"

"I need some knowledge about thunder breathing. The records I found were... insufficient." He said. "May I ask... why sir?" Tanjiro stopped and looked at him. Kyoka was praying for his safety. "In the Shinobi community, I am known as the Copy Cat. I observe and incorporate. One of my forms is based on Thunder Breathing but I can't seem to complete it. I need to know the intimate details of the style." He clarified. "Anything specific?"

They continued walking. "Tell me about your way of breathing."

"Well, it's kind of unique. All other forms breathe in all at once and only release while doing the action. For me, I breathe out before the move. I build massive changes in my body, more specifically my legs. I can't hold it for very long or I'll fry, so I have to breath out instead of in to stabilize the charge with my core. If I'm being honest, I thought you did the same."

"Meaning?"

"Ash makes smoke. Smoke is toxic." He spoke. Tanjiro chuckled. "Ok, now I look like a dumbass. I'll be sure to try that out." He accepted. Zenitsu was somewhat surprised at how humble he was. "So, Kyoka. Any reason why you wear that blindfold thought you can see?" He asked the silent maiden. "I haven't the slightest idea of what you are referring to, Kamado-sama." She dissuaded. "Mmm. At first, I thought you were blind. But, your hair got in the way of the eyes while I was watching you. You moved it away. Even brushed smaller hairs. And you did it with such... urgency. I have a few theories as to why you pretend to be blind, but for now, let's go hunting. I smell demons not too far. Get to stepping."

Kyoka was someone shocked and impressed at the young Hashira. She did have a reason for pretending to be blind but it was a reason he respected enough to ignore. The group began sprinting until they were within earshot of the Demons and their victims. "Stay back! Don't come any closer." Shouted a man. He held a knife in front of him while guarding his supposed wife and child. A dead body laid half-eaten on the ground.

"Oi, demon!" Tanjiro called. It grunted and turned. It was still humanoid but with a very bulky build and deathly glare. "Hunter? What. Doing. Here?" It asked. "Oh, nothing." Tanjiro lied.

The demon used its superior speed to grab the young boy from his parents. "Come. Closer. Boy. Dies."

"Kamado-sama. What should we do?" Asked Zenitsu. "Now listen my dear children. He has a hostage. What do we do? A: Charge his ass. B: Leave this alone. Or C: Use superior tactics." He quizzed. "C, sir." Answered Kyoka drawing her green blade. "What. You. Saying?" The demon growled in confusion.

"I'm saying let the boy go or my student here will decapitate you." HE said pointing to Zenitsu.

"Stupid human. Boy. CAnt touch. Me. You. will. die." It spat. Zenitsu took an appropriate stance. "Tch. I'm sorry to say but... You are already dead."

"Wha-"

"Wind Breathing! First Form: Afternoon Breeze!"

In want can only be described as a blur streak the distance, Tanjiro smiled. The demon's head fell and soon after its body. "Good job, Kyoka-chan." He complimented. "T-thank you, Kamado-sama."

"Thank you so much for saving us." Said the man and his family. "No worries. Just don't come out after dark anymore."

"Yessir."

Words 1060

Posted 6/1/2021

Sorry for so much filler, I need a chance to introduce the character en masse lol. More meaningful chapters coming