11

(1047 words)
Calvin sat next to me on the couch, no arm around me this time. He was laughing at a joke Brandon had made, the laugh that shakes his whole body and throws his head back in glee. The joke wasn't that good but once you got late enough in the night, it didn't need to be.

Exactly one week ago, Calvin was lying on the ground holding his bloodied face and Jake was in a barbaric rage. Now, they sat across from each other and talked like old friends who'd never even thought of fighting in their lives. Don't get me wrong it was stiff, they walked on eggshells around each other and Calvin always flinched a little when Jake stood up too fast. They both apologized to each other about two days after it happened, Jake for beating him up and Calvin for... well Calvin for everything else. It was painful to explain to everyone what had happened between us and why things had gotten so bad, but the feeling of everything finally out in the open was worth it. Life ended up just like old times, just slightly off. Cal and I were still bumbling idiots around each other, and Ally didn't push us together anymore.

"You're so fuckin' stupid." Cal clapped his hands together as he laughed.

"Yeah, you're still laughing buddy," Brandon said.

I was smiling along with my friends but not at Brandon's joke. I was smiling at Calvin's smile. He was so happy, it was so pure. My heart shined for him.

The bruises, as it turned out, weren't all that hard to cover up. Who would've thought it just took a little concealer and that was it? He was often tired when he streamed anyway so the circles under his eyes looked like his normal raccoon-eye-bag-self and not like the dumbass who got into a bar fight.

"Goddamn it's late." Ally was checking the time. "We should probably get back to our flat."

"Boooo, then I'll be all alone here." Cal slid into the couch, fake pouting like a toddler. It wasn't all that funny but no one could stop laughing anyway. "C'mon I have to stream in like 20, stay for a little longer."

"You're streaming? It's so late, dude." I said in disbelief.

"I promised to do a late night stream with some of the others. It was Kudzo's idea." he groaned. "I've made a mistake in agreeing to that."

"We really have to head home. I need sleeeeep." Ally said in a groggy tone and started to collect her things.

"Yeah I'm really tired, I need sleep." Brandon complained.

"Fine, party poopers." Cal said, getting up from the couch.

I laughed and started to get up too, accepting a hand from Calvin to pull up from the cushions. I rubbed my forehead and tried to think about what my schedule was tomorrow but could barely think anyway. We needed to stop hanging out at such sleep deprived hours.

"Oh wait," started Calvin, he softly grabbed my arm as the rest headed to the door. "Will you do my..." He gestured to his eyes.

I giggled at his puppy dog face. "Yes, how could I forget you need your makeup to stream."

"I want big fake eyelashes this time," he batted his eyes.

"Your wish is my command. C'mon, let's go conceal your misdeeds." We headed to his room. He sat down at the desk in the corner and spun around the chair, waving every time the rotation returned to face me. The way he looked was entertaining, but even more so when he hit his desk and stopped short, jerking around.

"Oh my gosh, you're gonna give yourself another black eye." I cackled.

"Shut up," he shook his head embarrassed. He handed me the concealer and blender we'd been using to cover up, Ally and I had been blending for him because we discovered he was astonishingly bad at it.

"Hurry up!" Ally shouted from the other room.

"Sit still, you gangly motherfucker," I said, carefully grabbing his chin to steady his face and leaning down to apply the makeup..

"Please. you-gangly-motherfucker was my father, call me Gumby." He crossed his eyes as I got closer with the brush.

"The more you make me laugh the more likely I stab you in the eye with this."

"It's worth it to make you laugh." He winked. Then his face fell still and he looked up at me, a hesitant type of serene disposition, almost like he was asking my permission to tease me. We hadn't really flirted in a while, but old habits die hard.

I squeezed his cheeks with my hand supporting his chin to make fish lips. "Not worth it if I blind you," I laughed.

"Your feminine wiles are always worth it." He smiled.

"My feminine wiles are for conquering your monopoly empire and seducing the money out of your pocket," I hummed, applying the cream.

"I think you want more than just cash from my pants, Ash." Calvin grinned slyly. I practically had heart palpitations after hearing him say that. I could tell he knew he went too far the moment he said it as he quickly tacked on "You also want my debit card."

I nearly snorted. "You're ridiculous, stop squirming so I can blend this." He still needed to make it up to me for how he'd hurt me, but it was all too easy to forgive a guy your stomach did somersaults for.

I pursed my lips, concentrating on smoothing out the concealer without hurting the bruised skin. Without thinking, I moved closer to inspect my work. By the time Ally called me again to hurry, Calvin and I were breathing the same air. I quickly stood up.

"Should be good." I said, letting my hand slide from his chin. Stop it, Ash he needs to earn your trust still.

"You did it, I'm sure it'll be good." He said. Don't make it so easy to love you, dumbass.

"Ally's gonna blow a gasket if I don't leave. I'll see you soon."

"Bye, L-... bye." He said, waving as I crossed the room.

"Night."
~~~~~~~~~
A/N
This is kinda a mini chapter cause I'm going away for a week and won't be able to write. :(
Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy and comment any suggestions