Chapter 22

Harry's POV

Lexi wouldn't let go of me and that didn't bother me. I cherished the feel of her in my arms, and she needed the comfort anyway.

I walked over to where Voldemort was standing mere minutes before and picked up the Elder Wand.

"It's yours, now," Lexi stated. "You are the owner of the wand,"

I held it in both hands and snapped it in half, throwing it into the chasm.

"Why the hell'd you do that?!" Ron asked, his jaw nearly hitting the floor. "That's the most powerful wand, ever!"

"I don't want the power," I answered, looking to Lexi lovingly, and she returned the gaze, one hand on her growing baby bump and the other wrapped in mine. 

"It drived Voldemort crazy and I don't want to go all power-hungry and psychotic. I'll be starting a family in less than six months and that child needs a father."

I took my other hand and placed it over hers, resting my hand on her bump as well. Lexi tilted her face up and kissed me, not a feverish kiss, just a loving, warm kiss.

"I love you so much," She whispered against my lips.

"I love you too. I have one question to ask you, though," I answered, smiling cheekily.

Lexi raised an eyebrow at me, questioning my smile with her own.

I realised I didn't have a ring or anything, but I wanted to ask her anyway.

I turned so I was standing directly in front of her and lowered myself so I was kneeling, one knee up.

I clasped both her hand in mine as I recited what I was saying in my head for so long.

"Alexandria Isabella Black, I have loved you since you asked me whether the compartment was free in our first train trip," Her lips spread into a smile and I heard laughter from a small audience we had gathered.

"You were the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen, and you had, and still have, the sweetest voice I've ever heard. I remember perfectly the first time we kissed, even though I was actually dead for part of it. I believe it was your kissing skills that brought me back to life, not your healing tears. We've grown up together since we were eleven and faced many hardships and near-death experiences. Even though you're four months older than me, I can't imagine a life in which you weren't with me, by my side. So, I ask this question with great love and affection, will you marry me?"

It was silence as our small audience waited like I did, anticipating Lexi's answer.

"Of course," She threw her arms around my neck and kissed me like we were alone.

Cheers erupted in the grief and our friends applauded. The crowd soon dispersed as people set off to do their own things.

"I don't have a ring or anything but I promise I'll get one. Maybe you could help me shop for them?"

"Sure, you disorganised but very lovable man of mine,"

"But I'm not your quite yet..." I piqued, smiling.

"You've been mine and I've been yours since I imprinted on you when I first laid eyes on you,"

"Imprinted?" I asked, questioning the term.

"When a wolf sees their soulmate, they become unconditionally bound for the rest of their life. When I first saw you, I went into a vision-like phase where I saw you and I together. I think I also saw us with a child or two. At the time, I didn't know whether I'd imprinted on you or not, so I tried to hide my feelings or extinguish them,"

"You should go back to La Push to be with your mother. The bodies will be delivered as soon as possible and once your mother sees your father, she'll need your support."

"I'll only go if you'll come with me. Maybe we can tell Mom the 'baby news'. It may be a light through the darkness."

"That's a great idea. We should head off, we need to be out of the school grounds before we can travel."