New Beginnings

Recommended song: "Brazil" by Declan McKenna

I

The bright, sunny morning did nothing to lift your mood. Errand after errand lined up like drunkards at a wine store. A sigh here, a whisper there; you had had it up to here. Grunting and whining to yourself, you left your damned, suffocating house filled with people you had no interest in and made your way to one of the addresses you had circled in on out of the many business cards that were handed to you the night before.

"Wangsheng Funeral Parlour," you mumbled out the name, the pleasant heat not feeling so pleasant to your irritated state of mind. You clicked your tongue and proceeded to step inside, mindful of your surroundings. A man, with messy hair and ruffled clothes, appeared from behind the counter to greet you.

"Good morning! Welcome to the Wangsheng Funeral Parlour. I am Meng. How may I assist you today?"

Meng was quite lively to be someone who works around dead bodies all the time.

"I-," a gloved hand on the counter next to you tapped twice, attracting your attention.

"Meng, you are busy right now. Allow me to assist this customer," the unfamiliar voice from beside you reckoned. Meng cast the man a look of gratitude, muttering his thanks and went back to his work. You clicked your tongue again. This was taking too long.

"I apologise for interrupting you, Miss?"

"Y/N."

"Miss Y/N. I am Zhongli, a consultant at this parlour. We have been quite understaffed lately. My assistant is out on an errand and without her here we are a little overwhelmed. However, this present state in no way brings any hindrance to our work here. Tell me, how can I help you?"

"My uncle died last night. I would like your cheapest services at the utmost urgency," you explained, not concealing the absolute indifference in your words.

"You could at least pretend to respect the dead," a boy, with surprisingly toned arms and golden cat-slit eyes peeped from behind Zhongli. Green tattoos engraved around his right shoulder; the boy looked unpredictably mature.

"Why should I?" you replied, the heat getting to your head, "The man was a disgrace. A bastard. All he ever did was order me around, making me do all his work for him while he sat around and drank, happily reaping the benefits of my hard work. If anything, he's a load off the back of this world."

Both Zhongli and the boy stood speechless for a few moments. Even Meng peeked from behind the counter.

"And why do you care? Isn't it rude to interrupt elders? Didn't your parents teach you manners, boy?" you said as you crossed your arms across your chest.

A look of pure shock and disgust made its way on his face, eyes brimming with anger. You returned his harsh glare, a result of misdirected anger and frustration.

"You intolerant mortal. How dare you undermine me like this?!"

"Xiao, here..." Zhongli said, with visible discomfort, "is quite old."

"I do not care. I have a lot to do with not much time to spare. Can you or can you not provide me with your services without unnecessary delay?" you asked for the last time.

"Of course. If you would just follow me."

II