Rex Lapis

Recommended song: "As the World Caves in" by Matt Maltese

I

The Geo Archon. Your breathing hastened.

The oldest of the Seven. The Warrior God – a merciless slaughterer. The Lord who created your city. One by one, you remembered your previous conversations, his words ringing in your ears:

"There's no need really. Emotions are complex. Its qualities are what make us... mortals."

"Your mother is proud of you, Y/N."

"I find death to be very... fascinating."

"Then I would keep searching."

"Go out with me."

Your soul shrieked in incredulity.

He had asked you out. You, an ordinary human. The realisation struck as you recalled Xiao's repetitive use of the word 'mortal'.

Then that meant... You whipped your head at him and he nodded, understanding your train of thought.

Xiao was an Adeptus.

"I-I-Is this t-true?" You struggled to hold your stare.

Zhongli remained silent as he slowly took a step towards you but you recoiled. His expression filled with dread and he dropped his outstretched hand, staring at the ground.

"I'm sorry I lied to you," he said, not looking up.

You tried to sit upright, running your muddy hands through your hair. You ignored the light drizzle of blood from where the arrow had grazed you, ignored the burn marks on your palms from the slime. Your thoughts were a mess.

Everything made sense now. Why you had wanted to tell him your secrets, why it was so easy to talk to him – it was all coming together.

You took several deep breaths, the divine pair patiently waiting for you to collect yourself. After a good deal of time had passed, you finally spoke, voice low and soft.

"Was it all a lie?"

Zhongli's eyes teared up.

'Were you just toying with me? Do you actually harbour feelings for me? Were you ever going to tell me?'

You willed yourself to remain still but your head spun, physical exhaustion or mental, you couldn't tell.

"No. I swear on the city of Liyue, everything I told you about myself was the truth," he replied tenderly, "I wanted to tell you, Y/N. I just didn't know how."

You didn't look at him. Instead, you shifted your focus to the Adeptus and in a tentative, quivering voice you begged: "Can you please take me home?"

Xiao turned to the Archon, waiting for his authorization. Zhongli exhaled heavily, overpowered by your words and subtly dipped his head once.

Xiao walked over to you, eyes seeking permission before placing a hand under your thighs, the other around your abdomen, swiftly taking to the skies. You passed out in his arms, but before he had launched, you had managed to steal a quick glance at Zhongli – head lowered, shoulders hunched.

Defeated.

Recommended song: "Good Looking" by Suki Waterhouse