Lost Memories

'He's late,' you tapped your foot against the ground, hands on your hips.

You checked your watch again: quarter past twelve. If Zhongli didn't hurry, you wouldn't be able to pop by the store for a gift for Chongyun's reception.

You still couldn't believe, how your lovely Chongyun was now getting engaged to the second son of the Feiyun Commerce Guild, Xingqiu. When Chongyun had finally come out to you and your friends, you were beyond happy. Hugging and wiping tears, you all were so proud of him for having the courage to love.

You still remembered how apprehensive the young swordsman was when Chongyun first brought him over to meet your friend group. However, being the welcoming lot you are, he was soon at ease, laughing and chatting away merrily as if he'd known you guys all his life.

You could see the adoration in his eyes for your friend and how much he loved him. It was beautiful to witness them being together so much so that Zhongli too had gotten extra affectionate that day, eyes softening every time he spoke to you.

The past year had been incredible with Zhongli; every day you'd both wake up in your marital bed and after a few minutes of morning cuddles and collective whines, you both would start your day off, leaving for your respective jobs.

Your business was booming. You had won several awards in the past year and the profit margin had increased manifold. You had hired two more people to help you manage things, with Bao as their supervisor. You had even moved to a slightly bigger apartment, right in the center of the city.

Zhongli had been wonderful as a husband. He was so supportive of your ambitions; it was truly endearing. Every day, he would come over to your shop (which too, had gotten bigger both interiorly and exteriorly) for lunch. He had taken over the meals, of course, because you still couldn't cook, and you'd rather have him starve than eat anything you made. But you knew that even if the food was burnt to a crisp and the plate was filled with ash, he'd merrily eat it.

On days when you were both too busy, especially you, with your adeptal duties, you'd usually skip lunch with Zhongli and just meet him at home where he waited for you with dinner, all warm and doting. Life was truly amazing, but you always had that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that things are going excessively well. You tried to shut it out but at times it would take over your entire being.

Like right now, when it was almost twelve-thirty and there was still no sign of Zhongli. He had never been this late before and you were beginning to worry-

"I'm so sorry I'm late love," Zhongli's voice called out and you whirled, relieved to see him panting while he put on his coat. He had run all the way here. He hurriedly pressed a kiss to your temple and took the gift bag you were already carrying off your shoulder and onto his. "Orders for an entire family: carbon monoxide poisoning."

You grimaced.

"Don't strain yourself too much you'll break your back," you taunted, and Zhongli just rolled his eyes, a hint of a smile threatening his lips.

"How many is that now? Three thousand? That's the number of times you've cracked that joke."

"Hey, come now, there's no shame in being old," you snickered, grasping his hand which he held out for you.

"I'm sorry about the family," you said, and he hummed, sighing through his nose. "Were you worrying again?" He asked, head tilting to look at you as you both walked out of the city, towards the fields.

Your anxiety had gotten out of hand these past few weeks. You didn't know why it had started all of a sudden, maybe it was the stress of working two jobs or maybe it was the shift into a new apartment; there was no explanation.