The Confession

Recommended song: "Cigarette Daydreams" by Cage the Elephant

I

"Food's here!" Yanfei called out to the room as she entered your apartment, hands full with a small carton carrying the food parcels. She placed the carton on the coffee table in the centre of the living room and you started handing out the boxes to their respective owners.

Your fingers brushed against Zhongli's as you handed him his food and a bolt of electricity zoomed through your body. If accidentally touching him made you feel that way, you didn't want to think about what would happen if you engaged in deeper physical contact.

'I would probably have a nosebleed,' you thought, huffing at yourself. Xinyan took the bag from Chongyun and laid out her food, eyeing it suspiciously.

"Brown rice, not white?"

"Yes," Chongyun sighed.

"Low-sodium soy sauce?"

"Yes."

"Rice vinegar, not apple cider?"

"Yes," he groaned.

"Extra mushrooms?"

"Yes."

"Carrots diced, not sliced?"

"I didn't check."

"You had one job," Xinyan threw her hands in the air, falling back into the couch. "Teenagers these days," she huffed, "can't even follow the simplest of instructions." Chongyun looked like he would purge her right then and there.

"Just eat your food," you smacked Xinyan on the thigh, motioning Chongyun to sit beside you. Zhongli assessed every move, remarking at how Xinyan made it her job to annoy the young boy and how easily he took the bait. He smiled to himself, reminded of the dynamic between him and the Anemo Archon.

It had been too long since his last visit to Mondstadt. He promised himself that he would visit as soon as he could, making sure to bring you with him. That is if you accepted.

'How should I ask her out? Maybe dinner?' He looked around.

'No... we already did that. How about a walk?' He imagined walking along the streets of Liyue, your arm wrapped in his, the two of you deep in conversation.

'Ugh, aren't you a God? Surely you can think of something better than that,' he mentally punched himself.

"Hey, the Lantern Rite's coming up in three days. You guys wanna get together?" Li Na asked the group, sipping on her water.

Zhongli's ears perked and he looked up, eyes clearer than ever.

'Yes. The Lantern Rite. That should be fun,' he sighed, relieved.

"Mm. No can do," Xinyan replied, shaking her head. "I am performing and I want each of you to come. You too Zhongli," she pointed at him with her chopsticks and he nodded.

"So Xinyan's out. What about the rest of you?" Li Na asked again.

"Sure. What do you wanna do?" Yanfei replied.

"I was thinking maybe we could participate in the lantern-making competition."

The lantern-making competition was one of the biggest events organised by the Qixing on the occasion of the Lantern Rite. Five teams would compete against one another for the three million Mora reward. The rules were simple: the most appealing lantern wins. It is judged on the grounds of art, structure and durability. The winning lantern would be the first to be set off into the night sky by the hands of the Tianquan of the Liyue Qixing, Ningguang herself.