A Memory of a Dear Friend

Recommended song: "First Love / Late Spring" by Mitski

I

"Huh?" You blinked, mouth agape.

"Go out with me," Zhongli repeated.

"Ou-Out as in?"

"As in a date."

You gulped. You couldn't comprehend his words. You stood as still as a statue, mouth opening and closing like a fish. Zhongli waited patiently, determined to get an answer out of you. Underneath his gloves, his knuckles had turned white.

Your face had turned so red, he fought the urge to smile. There was sweat forming on your temples and your chest was overworking itself to the core.

'Say yes. You know you want to,' you thought to yourself.

'Say it. Say yes. It's just one word.'

Taking deep breathes to calm yourself, eyes fixated on his, you dug your nails into your palms and finally said: "C-Can I think about it?"

Zhongli's shoulders slumped. The clarity in his eyes fogged as he tried to regain his composure. He looked so disappointed, you just wanted to jump out the window and evaporate from the face of Teyvat.

"Of course," Zhongli replied, a hint of disenchantment in his voice, wrists unfolding. His bottom lip curved just a tad and with his eyes glazed, he unconsciously made the most adorable face you had seen in your entire life.

You wanted to scream.

'What is wrong with you?!" your mind roared at your useless self.

Zhongli squared his shoulders, standing tall. He was done waiting.

"Three days from now, on the occasion of the Lantern Rite – I'll be here, at Yujing Terrace. Eight p.m." You listened carefully.

"I'll wait for you," he added softly. You stood motionless, unable to form words.

"See you tomorrow, Y/N." And with that, Zhongli left you alone in your apartment, walking with ease. As if he hadn't just driven a polearm in your soul.

Your hands trembled, the adrenaline rush this time much different than the times when you were in battle. You replayed the conversation in your head over and over, until it turned dark outside, the street lanterns flickering and lighting up the Terrace.

You finally broke out of your stupor. And you screamed. Loud and unrelenting. Your hands slapped your cheeks repeatedly and you cursed yourself for uttering those five words.

"See you tomorrow, Y/N."

You straightened. Li Na had instructed everyone to assemble at her house the following day, to begin the preparations for the lantern-making competition. There, you would go over the design, the materials required, form groups to retrieve the said materials and so on. And that meant, Zhongli would be present too.

'Shit.'

"Why didn't I say yes?" You collapsed on your couch.

"Go out with me." Zhongli's voice kept ringing in your ears. Your entire body was on fire. Here was a man who reciprocated your feelings before you had even expressed them to him.

Your stomach churned at the thought of seeing him again.

Recommended song: "My future" by Billie Eilish