On the Way

Recommended song: "Sunsetz" by Cigarettes after sex

I

As you had promised Bao, before leaving, you stopped by your shop, searching for Xiu Ying, your regular delivery man.

On your arrival, Xiu Ying greeted you, limbs covered in bandages. Something primal churned in your gut at the sight and you offered him your thanks for trying to stand up to the Hilichurls.

He shook it off, saying that he was only doing his job but you insisted and offered to pay for his medicines. After a lot of negotiation, he ultimately reconciled.

Zhongli was with you the entire time. When asked about his luggage for the trip he replied respectfully that he wouldn't be staying at the Inn, instead, he would be back the next morning – as would you.

So, in conclusion, somehow you had managed to bag an outing back and forth with a man you didn't even know until yesterday. You were surprised at Zhongli's concern regarding the monsters; whether you found it offensive or endearing, you didn't let on.

It was the latter.

Zhongli observed your interaction with the delivery man from the distance. So far, you were a kind woman with goodness in your heart towards people who you thought deserved it; as opposed to what he saw earlier in the case of your uncle.

He didn't blame you though. From what he had heard at the funeral from your uncle's friends and colleagues, the man was a saint, a blessing and was taken away too early, all the while you looked like someone who could kill with their bare hands. He knew that as much as you had wanted to jump up and down and scream retorts, you had managed to keep your feelings bottled up.

Barely.

'She has a strong sense of justice. She doesn't like it when someone favours what she opposes, but she doesn't let them know out of respect. It's hard to come by such people these days.'

"Miss Y/N, I really appreciate your gesture, but–" Xiu Ying said, bringing Zhongli out of his thoughts.

"Like I said, it's fine. Go home now. It's getting late. And give this to little Dali," you said, referring to his daughter as you handed him a small braided silver bracelet, with ruby streaks tangled within it.

He looked back at you in astonishment, putting out his hand to refuse before you gave him a stern look and shut him up.

'Persistent.'

"We should leave now if we are to make it at the Inn before it gets late." You called out to Zhongli, who agreed with you and thus, the two of you left Liyue Harbour; riding off into the sunset.

In a cart.

II

The journey was a little awkward. With nothing to do, you decided to give your eyes some rest as the cart trudged along the dirt path. You put out a hand to the Vision secured around your waist, the thrum of power a steady beat against your fingers. You had picked it up after your lunch with Zhongli; hurrying in and out while he waited outside. When you had returned, you caught him observing the open area at the Yujing Terrace, right where the Exuvia had fallen from the sky.

'Was it rash to discuss my conspiracies with a stranger?' You had thought to yourself.

But out they went through the window when he turned around and smiled at you, butterflies popping in your stomach.