Epilogue

Recommended song: "Dandelions - Violin" by Joel Sunny

I

You stood on the terrace at the Wangshu Inn, the wind blowing past you, ruffling your hair. It had been a year since your last visit and you smiled as you remembered yourself leaning on your husband's shoulder in the exact same spot.

When Verr Goldet had offered you two separate rooms, Zhongli corrected her, saying that only one was required and her face had lighted up with glee. The air smelled of silk flowers, one of them entwined in your braid.

It felt like yesterday.

You stared at the wedding ring on your right hand: a silver band holding a tiny chunk of pure Cor Lapis.

A lot had happened over the past year: you had declared your engagement to your friends who had rejoiced with enthuse, partying for days. Then there was the trip to Mondstadt, where you had met Venti, the Anemo Archon. He was an interesting individual – you could tell that he annoyed Zhongli but he was also dear to him and you had spent multiple nights drinking and chatting like old friends. Zhongli had moved into your apartment and yes, you were a part of the Adepti now.

"I want to become an Adeptus," you had said to Zhongli, "so that... I can be with you... forever."

He had instantly shut down the thought but on your constant persistence, he had said gravely, "Forever is a long time. All your friends will move on, and you would be the only one left," to which you had replied, "And what about you?" He had remained silent and you had consoled him, saying: "It'll be painful but if I have you by my side, I'll be fine."

He had called you stubborn and had walked away but you had pointed out that you were an experienced warrior who genuinely wanted to work to protect Liyue, which had seemed to work and after many debates, he had agreed to call a meeting with the other Adepti.

There was initial resistance and a lot of name-callings but after you had calmly explained that you meant no ill and had passed every single trial the three Adepti had created for you, they had no other option but to concede. Zhongli was worried, but you could practically see the pride emanating from him. You had asked Xiao to train you and you were certain that he now found your presence mildly irritating rather than absolutely unbearable. You smiled to yourself.

"Hello," Zhongli appeared behind you, wrapping his hands around your waist.

"Hi," you replied, your smile growing and pecked his lips. "The room is ready," he said, gently swaying you from side to side.

"In a minute," you sighed, looking out at the beautiful scenery. Zhongli seemed to remember that night as well when he had realised that he was ready to spend the rest of his life with you.

You grasped his hands, the warmth from his chest seeping into your back. And the two of you just stood there for a while, basking in the morning sun.

At night, when you emerged from the bathing chamber wrapped in a towel, drying your hair, your breath hitched at the sight of Zhongli, shirtless, an elbow propped on his knee. The Lapis Meam still placed neatly around his neck, unbound hair shining in the light from the lanterns present in the room and your heart fluttered.

You could never get tired of this.

Zhongli motioned you to sit beside him and you donned a robe, before settling opposite of him. He pulled out a box from underneath a pillow and you tilted your head, eyes glazed.

"It's midnight. Happy Birthday, Y/N."

You smiled. "You remembered."

"Of course," he grinned at you with child-like enthusiasm. A man who was over six thousand years old. "Open it."

The box was wrapped in black crepe paper and tied with silver thread. You opened the box and nearly screamed with joy as you picked up the tanned leather gloves you had been eyeing for quite a while.

"It would make fighting much more fun, plus I would look awesome," you had told him.

"How'd you even get them?!" You asked, eyes twinkling.

"I put to use the bargaining techniques you taught me," he replied smugly, a hand under his chin. "I hustled it for a mere sum of two hundred Mora," he put up two fingers.

Your jaw dropped in shock. The original price was two hundred thousand.

"Fits you right – being a businesswoman's husband." He chuckled loudly at that.

"That's not all," he sang, fishing another present wrapped in the same fashion from under his pillow.

"There's more?" Your mouth opened in delighted surprise.

"Did you think some gloves would suffice for my Regina Electricae?" He wiggled his eyebrows, smirking.

Regina Electricae – the title Cloud Retainer had bestowed upon you when she had witnessed you complete her trial in half a minute with your Vision.

You opened the second present and your eyes widened in utmost disbelief. A diadem.

Thundersoother's Diadem to be exact.

"Wha- How- What?!" You struggled to form words. You could feel the raw power in the electro artifact thrum against your fingertips. Your nostrils flared in realisation.

"This was why you came home with all those frostbites that day?!" You yelled at him, smacking his head. Zhongli rubbed the spot, dramatically gasping.

"Why are you mad, I went through such pains to retrieve it for you!"

"Yeah! By risking your life!"

"I wasn't alone you know. Yanfei, Chongyun and Xinyan were with me," he said softly, not meeting your eyes.

"WHAT."

You lifted your hand to summon your claymore, ready to beat the man to a pulp but before you had the chance, he pinned you down on the bed, locking your wrists with his palms.

"I am loving your concern but do you think I can't defeat some measly little fiends?" He breathed right above your lips.

"Well, n-no," you stammered, "but still. It's dangerous. That temple is crawling with Cryo Slimes and Cryo Abyss Mages. And what was Chongyun doing there?"

"He wanted to come along and I couldn't refuse," Zhongli pouted. You exhaled sharply; forehead creased in agony.

"Thank you," you said softly. You put your mouth near his right ear, and he thought you were going to whisper but then you yelled: "DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN WITHOUT ASKING ME!" and he recoiled in shock, covering his ear with his palms.

You placed the diadem on your head and summoning your claymore, observed yourself in the mirror, Zhongli still trying to heal from your burst. He frowned at you theatrically and he looked so adorable you wanted to squish him to death.

"You look ravishing," he stood close behind, his stature towering over you. You observed the image in the mirror, pride flaring in your chest.

'An Archon, and his virago.'

"Your eyes are the colour of the bedrock and you were born on the day I first descended to Teyvat," he intertwined his amber fingers with yours.

"You were meant to be by my side from the beginning," Zhongli said, tears lining his eyes. The hair on your arms rose.

He lifted you up in the air, your claymore dissipating and placed you on the bed with heart-breaking gentleness. He kissed you deeply, lazily – as if he'd be content to do nothing but that forever.

And as you stared deep into his eyes, whispering your love for him, your heart sighed, ready to walk with him towards your future – and all that waited within it.