An Acquaintance

Recommended song: "Je te laiserrai des mots" by Patrick Watson

I

"Ah, Mr Zhongli," you greeted the said man as he walked over to where you were standing.

"Was everything to your liking Miss Y/N?" Zhongli asked, eyes shining even brighter than before, a sense of pride befalling them for a job well done.

"Yes. It was more than what I had expected," you said a bit awkwardly.

When you had arrived at the venue that morning, you were surprised to see bouquets of glaze lilies which you didn't remember signing off on. There was also a whole platter of incense for the visitors to choose from along with several lanterns that had your family name written on them.

"Compliments of the director. Since she couldn't personally be available to sign over the contract, Hu Tao managed to send her condolences through these goods," Zhongli replied, hands neatly folded behind his back. His smooth, patient, elegant voice calmed you down to such an extent it was shocking.

"Thank you for everything, I quite liked it."

You had to admit, the service was beautiful. Although you were already floating on a cloud, the added finishing touches provided by the parlour improved your mood a great deal. The priest called out to you, and you excused yourself, pulling out your purse to pay him his fees.

Zhongli breathed a sigh of relief as he saw you walking across the grass.

'I'm glad she liked the glaze lilies.'

Zhongli took a seat on a nearby wooden table and went over the bills of the event. He waited patiently as you ushered the guests to their carts that would take them back to the city. Seeing you escort the last of the guests, he began to prepare the ink and laid out the pile of papers for you to sign.

You sat across from him, dipping the brush in ink and signing your name on page after page of yellow papyrus. Finally, you pulled out the bag of Mora and handed it to Zhongli: payment for his services.

"Well, that concludes it," Zhongli said as he folded up the papers in two envelopes, placing one in his coat pocket and the other in your hand.

"It was a pleasure doing business with you Miss Y/N." Zhongli stood up and bowed his head. You mirrored his actions and just as he was about to walk away, your mouth spewed out the words you had spent the entire morning practising in your head.

"Mr Zhongli," he turned around. "I would like to apologise for my past behaviour. It was unethical and rude of me to take it out on you and... what was that boy's name again?"

"Xiao," Zhongli said, the upper corners of his lips curving slightly.

"Yes, Xiao. If I ever have the chance to meet him again, I would like to apologise to him as well."

"There's no need really. Emotions are complex. Its qualities are what make us... mortals," he added a bit strangely.

"Still. Let me make it up to you. How about lunch at the Wanmin Restaurant? My treat," you said, flashing a cheery smile, hands wrapped behind your back with a small tilt to your head.

For a second, Zhongli seemed to consider the offer. He had other, more important things to do. However, the mention of a free meal did sound enticing. Shaking his head, he said,

"You wouldn't take no for an answer, would you?"

You shook your head in agreement.

He huffed a breathy chuckle and crossed his arms across his chest. "Very well then. I will see you at the Wanmin Restaurant later. One o'clock?"