Chapter seventeen

That night
Dorothy's POV

"So have you guys talked?" Peggy asked talking about Bucky.

"No, I really don't want to talk about it." I say scratching the back of my neck.

"Oh come on, you two would be great together."

"Let's just find a dress, ok."

"Yeah yeah."

Peggy had on this rose red dress, it was a v neck and had ruffles on the collar. I have a navy blue shirtwaist dress. It ended right above my knees, it was relatively short but I liked it so I didn't care.

We walk into the bar, all eyes are on us.

We see Steve and Bucky, "Captain." Peggy says as we walk over.

"Agent Carter, Dottie." Steve said before hugging me.

"Ladies." Bucky replied

"Howard has some equipment for both you and Dottie to try on. Tomorrow morning?" Peggy said ignoring Bucky.

"Sounds good." Steve said looking between me and Peggy

"Yep sounds good." I say replying to Peggy

Peggy decided to change the subject, "I see your top squad is prepping for duty."

"You don't like music?" Bucky asked.

Peggy looked at Bucky, " I do, actually. I might even, when this is all over, go dancing."

"The what are you waiting for?" Bucky asked.

"The right partner. 0800, Captain, Dottie." Then she left.

"Oh she totally likes you Steve!" I tell him when she is out of range.

"I'm invisible. I'm...I'm turning into you. It's like some horrible dream."

"Don't take it so hard. Maybe she's got a friend." Steve said looking at me.

They both look at each other, then they look at me.

"What?"

"Hey I have to go, see you two later." Steve said walking off.

"Hey Dottie can we talk, outside." Bucky asked me.

"Yeah."

He grabs my hand and pulls me outside.

"Slow down, is everything ok?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's just...I'm sorry for fighting with you. It was dumb and I shouldn't have done it, I'm sorry."

"Oh, Bucky." I hugged him.

We stayed in that position for a minute.

"I should be the one saying sorry, I should have told you that I was trying to get on the front lines. I knew you would be mad but I did it anyway, I was inconsiderate."

We stood there, staring into each others eyes, until he broke the silence.

In a voice lower than a whisper, he said something.

"What?"

He looks me right in the eyes, "I like you. No, no I love you. I know you've taken psychology classes so you know that if you like someone for more than 4 months it's love. So there, I love you and I have loved you since we were 15. I probably liked you longer than that but my dumb teenager brain couldn't comprehend it. I love you. I love everything about you. I love how your eyes look like whiskey, I love that when the sun hits your hair is goes from brown to red. I love how you aren't scared for anything, and how you aren't scared to speak your mind." He sighed

"What I'm trying to say is that I love you."

We stand in silence.

"Please say something."

"You're joking right?"

He looks at me, "what makes you think I'm joking Dorothy."

Shit... he used my real name, "it's just that I've loved you since we were 18. I just thought considering you always flirt with other girls that you didn't like me back so I just let it be."

"I only flirted with them to try and get you off my mind, it obviously didn't work."

"So we have both liked each other for around 5 years maybe more and we never told each other?"

"Yeah I guess so."

We stood there until Bucky started to laugh causing me to laugh. We were laughing until our lungs hurt.

Bucky stopped laughing, "will you go out with me, when the war is over so I can take you on a proper date. We could go to the beach, then dancing, then we can go watch a movie. Maybe not in that order, but we could do that as our first date."

He grabbed by hands.

"Yes, I would love to go on a date with you."

He hugged me, "well we better get some shut eye so you are up bright and early for the gear testing."

"Yeah, I wonder what Howard has for me."

He kissed my forehead and we went our separate ways.

This one also seems rushed, and it's a lot shorter than my previous chapters. But it's still something.