CHAPTER 18 - GHOSTS

"Do you have any idea how much of a pointless waste reading that is?"

Sophia Lockwood slammed the diary shut and scowled at Stefan Salvatore. He looked exhausted, she thought. It had been weeks, after all.

He was chained to a chair in the old Forbes jail cell, and he was glaring back at Sophia, who was sat on the floor opposite him with one of his many diaries in her lap.

"If Lexi managed to make you care again, then so can I."

Stefan laughed. "Lexi wasted years of her life dragging me back into misery. And now she's dead." he scoffed at that. "You know you're gonna end up the same, so you might as well accept things the way that they are."
Sophia stood up, ignoring the comments from Stefan. "Keep trying to convince me all you like, it's not going to work."

"Where are you going?"

Sophia sighed, shoving the diary back into her satchel. It had been the same for days now.
"I'm meeting Elena and Jeremy at The Grill." she said, steeling her resolve. "We're helping set up for the Night of Illuminations."
She kept quiet about the plan that Elena had to help Stefan, not that it would have mattered to him.
But still he faked a smile, grinning up at her tiredly. "Thrilling." he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "bring me back a snack, please... preferably a blonde." He paused, when he didn't receive a response, and Sophia began pushing the door open. "It was a joke, Soph. Come on."

Sophia didn't reply, she just turned and shut the door behind her, letting out a shaky breath as she did so. Every damn time she saw him, it took everything to not completely fall apart.

It was exhausting.

But deep down, Sophia knew that he couldn't let Stefan see the weakness that she felt.

He would only use it to his advantage.

__________

When Sophia arrived at The Grill, it was comforting to see how crowded the place was. There was a slight chill to the air, but friendly faces still gathered inside to prepare for the night ahead.

Children were running between the tables, smiling and laughing as their parents tied lanterns around the room, framing the doorways and windows with colour and warmth. She noticed Matt passing plates of hot food to a couple in the corner, as the bartender slid yet another set of drinks towards two familiar patrons that Sophia immediately recognised as Damon and Alaric.

A few moments later, Elena called out towards her from a table across the room, and Sophia's face lit up as she headed towards the Gilbert siblings.
"I didn't think it would be this busy." Sophia said as she dropped her satchel on the table and heavily sat down opposite Elena. "Historical society is going all out this year, huh?"
"Don't they always?" Jeremy interjected dryly. "More lanterns doesn't make it any more exciting."
Sophia laughed, and smiled tiredly. "Unfortunately not, I suppose."
"You doing okay, Sophia?" Elena asked. "You look kind of..."

"Like shit."

"Jer!"

Elena scowled at her brother, who rolled his eyes and winced as she gave him a small shove.
"Sorry." he said, raising his hands. "I'm sorry, you look tired, that's all. Like really tired."
Sophia shook her head, amused. She knew he didn't actually mean anything by it. "I haven't slept much, to be honest." she admitted. "I don't know what to do about Stefan, or Tyler for that matter."
"Well..." Elena started, sharing a look with her brother. "I don't know what I can do about Tyler's sire bond, but Jer... he still has a connection to the other side."
"I can't promise that I can help." Jeremy added. "But... Elena did mention someone that could help Stefan. A vampire."
"Lexi..." Sophia mused. "Do you think that you could contact her, from the other side?"
"I'm not sure, I don't even know how it works, or if this person is even there." he said. "Elena's the only one here that's met her, I've only been able to see people that I've... had a connection with."