CHAPTER 19 - REBEKAH

Damon and Stefan Salvatore were once joint at the hip. Best friends bound by blood. It had been decades since those days, well over a century. And yet, despite their estrangement, they always found their way back to one another.

"You really have given up, haven't you?"

Stefan was staring up at his brother now, taut chains wrapped around his frame, anchoring him down to the chair in the old Forbes jail cell.

"Screw this Lexi plan."

Damon's words were just as much of a surprise to him, as they were to his brother. And, as the chains were ripped from the metal frames, Stefan didn't know whether it was pity, or if Damon actually had a plan. But it didn't matter, he groaned with relief as he rose to his feet at long last.

"Sophia's gonna kill you."

Damon scoffed at Stefan's remark. "Sophia's got far bigger fish to fry, brother."

__________

Rebekah was the key to everything.

In the twisting caverns, underneath the Lockwood estate, a story had been carved into the stone walls, and had been left untouched for centuries. It was Alaric that translated the runes, the names that cut deep and hit hard in the most unexpected way.

Klaus.

Rebekah.

Mikael.

Since that night, they had taken pictures and set up in Alaric's apartment. Spreading each image out on the desk in the middle of the room. It was like a puzzle, but it held so much more meaning. It was their story, the original story.

And Rebekah could give them the answer.

Mikael was the vampire who hunted vampires, that's what Sophia had learnt from Damon. But if Klaus skipped town after just hearing his name... perhaps there truly was a way to be rid of the hybrid, once and for all.

For Tyler's sake, Sophia said to herself. For Stefan and even for Elena, who Klaus would be back for eventually.

He had hurt them too much, and for too long.

This had to end, somehow.

Sophia had already confronted Rebekah at school, but as soon as she had mentioned Mikael, she was dismissed with a wave of her hand, and a flick of a blonde ponytail. It wasn't until that evening, when Alaric, Elena and Sophia were at the apartment yet again, sifting through the dozens of pictures from the cave, that Rebekah had texted Sophia with a surprising request.

"Come over for a chat - Rebekah."

That's all it read.

Sophia and Elena found themselves at the boarding house the very next day, the same place that Rebekah had claimed as her own in her brothers absence.

Music flowed through the air, as they stepped into the foyer together. Rebekah emerged from the kitchen with a smile, two champagne glasses clutched in each hand.
"Hey, what's up?" she said, and stopped with a pout as she spotted Elena behind Sophia. "I didn't invite her, why is she here?"
"This isn't even your house, you know." Elena replied, which only earned a sneer and an eye-roll in return as she began filling the glasses with champagne.
"You wanted to talk." Sophia said, as Rebekah passed her a full glass of fizzy, golden liquid. "What... is going on?"