CHAPTER 20 - MIKAEL

Mikael was the patriarch of the Mikaelson family, a shadow that had haunted his children for almost a millennia.

The most fearsome vampires alive had spent near a thousand years on the run. Centuries afraid of the very man that was now stood infront of Sophia Lockwood.

The boarding house felt smaller than it usually did, as if the walls were slowly closing in. The once expansive room felt oddly confined as friends and foes alike huddled together in the soft glow of the firelight. Damon and Elena were standing as close as they could to one another, sharing skeptical glances as Rebekah, in a languid sprawl upon the chaise, exuded an air of effortless elegance. Manicured fingers traced the fabrics' intricate patterns as her eyes remained fixed on her father. It was Stefan that clung to the shadows, and every so often his gaze drifted to Sophia, and then with a reluctant glare back to their unwelcome guest.

They all stared at Mikael.

And as much as they hated to admit it, he was their only chance.

Mikael had a weapon, a stake crafted from the wood of the White Oak tree. It was the only thing that could kill Klaus once and for all.

But first, they had to lure him back to Mystic Falls.

"The knowing of its location is my insurance policy."

The immortal hunter cared not for the stares he received, dipping a dagger of his own into the ash of the white oak tree.
"Against what?" Stefan asked.
"You leaving this in my heart." He replied. "You see, a vampire can't dagger an original without dying. So... it falls to one of you."

Elena and Sophia shared a look. "You actually want us to dagger you?" The doppelgänger shook her head and took a step back.
"Klaus will leave nothing to chance." He said, and held the dagger out towards Sophia. "Especially when it comes to trust."
As Sophia took the hilt of the dagger from Mikael, she could feel her heartbeat quicken. Stefan, who was leant against the bookshelf, straightened up, a sharp crease etched into his brow.

Everyone was watching.

Sophia stepped forward, facing the immortal hunter with an uneasy stare. Adjusting her grip, she cast a final glance towards Stefan and something tightened in her chest.

This was their only chance.

Sophia's eyes pulled back to Mikael as she steeled her resolve. And finally, the dagger found it's mark. She plunged it into his chest, and watched. Her gaze did not waver, not when his skin turned grey, and his eyes drifted to lose focus. She watched the veins creep along his skin before releasing her grip on the dagger. His body crumpled at her feet.

She knew in her mind that he wasn't dead, but her stomach still turned and bile rose in her throat.

It was done.

"Well, that was underwhelming."

It was Rebekah that broke the silence.

"Call him."

_____________

"Please tell me that you have a better plan than wolfsbane grenades?"

Stefan's dry quip cut through the tension between Damon and Elena. The trio were stood in Damon's room, preparing for the night ahead. Both Rebekah and Stefan had managed to convince Klaus of his Father's death, and the plan had been set in motion.

"Never your mind, brother," Damon replied, pinching a grenade from the doppelgänger. "The less you know the better."
Stefan practically rolled his eyes. "My freedom from Klaus rests entirely upon you two executing your plan perfectly. So, excuse me if I'm a bit cynical."
"You're the one that we should be worried about." Elena said pointedly. "If Klaus asks you one wrong question, the whole thing falls apart."
"You do have reason to worry, but if I look back in our history of epic plan failures, it's usually because one of us let our humanity get in the way." Elena and Damon shared a glance at that. He did have a point. "Taking odds on how this thing goes down, it's certainly not gonna be me who screws it up."