CHAPTER 12 - ELIJAH

Sophia Lockwood felt frightened, and it sickened her to the stomach to admit it, even to herself.

"Still missing this?"

Klaus had Sophia's bracelet between his fingers, Alaric's face as a mask, his lips twisting into a knowing smile before he tucked the bracelet away again.

"Being able to compel you would have made things so much easier, but I'm more than happy to take the high road, love... you best enjoy the moonlight while you still can."

Remembering Klaus' words sent a chill down Sophia's spine as she sat up in bed a few days later. She knew she had to keep ingesting vervain, now more than ever.

And then there was Bonnie... Sophia hadn't managed to sleep until she called that night, confirming Damon's plan. She was alive, and that's what mattered.

And Klaus had been fooled.

But even as she got dressed, Sophia couldn't help but feel worried. Klaus was the most dangerous creature they had faced. And, from the little she knew, Sophia was certain he'd be the type to remain one step ahead of those that opposed him... No matter what.

"Mom?" Sophia called out, making her way across the landing towards her Mother's room. "Mom, have you seen my hairbrush? It's not in my—" she stopped.

After pushing open the bedroom door she was greeted with an entirely unexpected site.

"Elijah?"

The original was stood in front of the wardrobe, halfway through putting on a shirt. He smiled when he noticed her, amused by the flushed state of her face as she tried to look anywhere but his chest.

"Sophia."

He nodded in greeting, stepping towards her.
"When I said I wished to see you under more pleasant circumstances, this is not what I had in mind, I'll admit."
Sophia gulped. "What—" she started, at a slight loss for words. "I'm sorry for barging in, I mean... I didn't know you were here."
"It's quite alright." He said with a polite nod. "No harm done, although I suspect you are curious as to why I'm here."

Elijah finally began to button up his shirt, and explained what Elena did; undaggering him so that they could work against Klaus. They had come here, together. And her mother had let them in before leaving for work, and now... here he was.

Sophia scoffed, slightly perplexed by Elijah's story. "Damon's not gonna be happy."
"As admirable as his intentions are, Damon Salvatore needs to learn that all of us here want the same thing." He paused, pulling a jacket out from the wardrobe. "You may join Elena and I, if you wish. I suspect she has an abundance of questions, and in a town of particularly unfriendly faces... well, I wouldn't object to your company."

He turned back to Sophia, now fully dressed and waiting. His eyes scanned the room briefly, until he noticed something on the dresser. He picked up the hairbrush, and held it out towards her, an expectant smile pulling at the corner of his lips.

"What do you say, Sophia?"

__________

Sophia, Elijah and Elena were sat in the living room, the silence hanging heavily in the air. Answers, were what the doppelgänger needed, about Klaus, and about the curse that he was trying so desperately to break.

But it was disbelief, that permeated the silence of the room now. Elijah's story taking the two girls by surprise, more than they thought possible.