CHAPTER 16 - HOME

It had been weeks since Chicago, and Sophia still felt a thousand miles away. She couldn't get it out of her mind, how easy it was for Stefan to just slip away and accept his life with Klaus. He wanted to protect them, she knew that, but something still hurt when she thought of him, and she couldn't quite explain why.

"Sophia?"

A sing song voice interrupted her thoughts, and Caroline's face finally came into view. The classroom was dark, and Sophia's hand slipped from the bracelet she was fiddling with. It was senior prank night, and thanks to Caroline's insistence, everyone had turned up to make some memories.

"How many more mouse traps do we need?"

Since she had got home, the two girls had been pretty much inseparable. And although summer was coming to an end, it felt good to have her best friend back, she had to admit.

It was then that the door swung open suddenly, and a figure stepped into the room, stumbling slightly in surprise as the edge of his shoe knocked one of the many mouse traps that were spread across the floor. For a second, it was quiet, and then the click and clang of metal springs filled the room, as the traps set off in a sequential dance. The light came on, illuminating the room with a pale yellow glow.

It was Matt Donovan that stood in the doorway sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck as Caroline stared at him in complete bewilderment.
"Oh, come on!" she groaned, huffing slightly as she looked around the room. "Seriously?! Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?"
Tyler emerged from behind a desk, a grin plastered on his face. "Forgot about senior prank night, huh?"
Matt managed an embarrassed chuckle. "Clearly."
"How could you forget?" Sophia laughed, shaking her head. "We've only been waiting for this since like freshman year."

Elena chimed in then. "Yeah, Matt. If I'm doing this, you're doing this."
Matt blinked in bewilderment. "I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this."

Bonnie turned from her spot at the front of the class. "Caroline is making us."
"We're about to be seniors!" she defended. "These are the memories that will stay with us forever, and if we don't..."

"And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?"

It was Elena that finished Caroline's sentence. She laughed a little, smiling knowingly.
Caroline crossed her arms over her chest. "Go ahead and make fun, I don't care."

Tyler stood up, standing above Sophia. "You're all lame. And we—" he paused, ruffling his sisters hair with his hand. "Have got ten more classrooms to prank."
Sophia elbows him, before grabbing his hand and hauling herself up off the floor. "Damn right we do." she fixed her hair, and picked up a bag from the desk. "I'm thinking the faculty lounge deserves a hit."

__________

Sophia and Tyler were headed through the corridors, laughing and joking as if they were children again. It was nice, to feel distracted, and finally feel some semblance of normalcy.

She grinned at him, noticing the far off look on his face. He was so transparent sometimes, it was funny.
"How are things with Caroline?" she asked, snapping him out of his reverie. He blinked, laughing slightly with a huff.
"It's going great, I mean... I thought it would feel weirder." he said. "But after everything with Mason, and the curse... it just feels normal, it feels right."
Sophia smiled again. "That's cute. Who knew you could be cute?"
Tyler rolled his eyes at that, giving his sister a playful shove.
"I still stand by what I said last week, though." Sophia continued. "If you hurt her, I swear to god—"
"Oh come on!" he groaned. "I would never, you know that... I'm not an idiot."
"I mean it." She nudged him with her elbow. "She's my best friend, and if you screw her over, I will not hesitate to kick you so hard in the nuts you'll actually wish it was a full moon."