CHAPTER 9 - REASONING

Mason Lockwood's murder was something that had shaken Sophia to her core. She felt betrayed by those that she trusted, and hurt beyond belief.

But, it was Caroline that had gotten through to her, in the end.

The pair of them had been catching up, talking through everything, as they always did. Sophia felt grateful, despite it all. She didn't know where she would be without her best friend. It was a Saturday morning, and the two girls were sat in Caroline's room, preparing for the memorial in town that day. The blonde however, had a particular habit of rambling, and it was something that Sophia had grown accustomed to, until today that is.

"He did what?!"

Sophia shot up from the bed, her yell making Caroline wince apprehensively as she scrambled to her feet.
"Tyler kissed you?" She blurted again, grimacing at the thought. "Tyler, as in my twin brother, he actually kissed you?!"
"I know!" Caroline slumped onto the bed, blonde curls falling in her face. "I just... it was weird! I mean, Matt kissed me, and then Tyler kissed me and I—"
"Did you kiss him back?" Sophia asked, and Caroline looked at her once more. Her eyes widened as she huffed indignantly, tucking another blonde lock of hair behind an ear.
"No!" She managed, after a moment. "I mean, he's your brother, Soph! That's just..." her words trailed off slightly, and Sophia couldn't help but feel slightly guilty. "I didn't know what to do, okay? I couldn't not tell you, you know? And then this whole situation with Matt is confusing enough without Tyler coming into it, and... I don't know." The blonde finally breathed then, nervously turning to Sophia again. "Are you mad at me?"

Sophia let out a long sigh then, shaking her head as she sat down next to the blonde on the bed.
"I'm glad you told me," she said. "You're my best friend, Care. And I mean, sure... it's a little weird," she paused, shrugging her shoulders slightly. "But I will always be here for you, okay?" At that, Caroline grinned, and held out her pinky finger, linking it with Sophia's in a familiar routine.

Most people would think a pinky promise to be childish, but it was a habit the two girls had formed over the years. Though a small gesture, it was an unspoken promise, a reassurance, and one that neither of them would ever break.

As the moment passed, the two girls carried on talking, sinking back into their casual rhythm as they prepared to leave for the memorial.
"They're just boys, Care," was a sentiment that Sophia repeated several times. As they headed down the stairs, the blonde simply laughed in response, and shot her friend a disbelieving look.

"You won't be saying that when you get a boyfriend!"

"Yeah right," Sophia scoffed, pulling the front door open, before letting out a half-hearted sigh. "I just think that after everything that's happened recently, boys shouldn't be what we're worried about... I mean, it's not the end of the world if—"

The girls were halfway down the drive, distractedly chatting, until Sophia's train of thought grinded to a halt upon noticing a familiar figure leant against Caroline's car.

It was her brother.

"Ty?" Sophia questioned, stepping towards him as Caroline hung back reluctantly. "What are you doing here?"
"I..." he paused, wide eyed with confusion washing over his features. "I thought you'd be at the memorial," Tyler replied, an unmistakable bitterness lacing his tone. "I need to talk to Caroline."

"Why?" Sophia folded her arms over her chest, glaring at her brother stubbornly. "because you two made out?"
Tyler blinked then, his gaze shifting sheepishly to Caroline, before landing on her sister once more with a blunt and serious stare.

"Masons dead."

It was at those two words, that everything seemed to grind to a halt. The confident smirk dropped from Sophia's face, as she stammered to stop him.
"Tyler, I—"
"No, you don't understand," her brother cut in, anger sweeping over his features as he pushed himself off the car. "he's dead, Soph, and Caroline, she..." his voice trailed off then, gesturing, and his stare landed again on the blonde accusingly as she bit her lip in worry. "What happened to Mason?"