CHAPTER 2 - CARNIVAL

Sophia Lockwood jolted awake with a start. Her breathing was rough, ragged, bleary eyes adjusting to the harsh light of the hospital room.

Was it a dream?

No.

It couldn't have been.

She could feel the blood on her neck still, as she lifted her good hand to touch it. She pulled her fingers back infront of her, red and bloody, and her eyes widened in horror.
"Soph?" A small voice sounded out. It was Caroline, from the bed beside her. "Thank god you're awake." Sophia shot her a weak smile, before standing up shakily.
"What the hell happened last night?" she breathed, avoiding Caroline's gaze. That girl, the one with Elena's face, had told her what to do. And she had done it. Something strange was going on, to say the least. "Why- why did that happen? why did you-"
"I don't know," the blonde cut in, pausing for a moment as the pair of them remained in silence, "but... we're both okay now, right?"

Sophia sighed, not wanting to upset her friend. Caroline was looking back at her, blue-green eyes shining with fear and vulnerability, before Sophia nodded in response.
"Yeah," she said, attempting to convince herself just as much as her friend, "We're okay."

_________

As the morning moved on, Matt Donavan came to visit Caroline. He didn't expect to see Sophia there, however. And even he had to admit, she looked exhausted. She was sat in the chair next to the bed, Her dark brown eyes vacant, as if lost in thought, surrounded by dark circles.

It was at the mention of the carnival however, that both girls jolted into action. Matt laughed, shaking his head slightly in disbelief at the both of them. Caroline wanted to get out. Tonight.

After a moment however, Matt thought it would be best if he left. But he did insist on taking Sophia home, however. He knew his best friend was worried about his sister. And the fact that she had spent the entire night here, couldn't exactly be good.

Sophia sighed, before agreeing reluctantly, adjusting the scarf that Caroline gave her to hide the bite mark. She still didn't know why she let her best friend do that to her. But she was determined to get to the bottom of it.

__________

Tyler and Mason Lockwood made their way back inside the mansion after a morning run, mud covered trainers contrasting with the white flooring, laughing and joking all the while.
"So..." Mason started, almost apprehensively as he pulled off one of his shoes. "All this anger and aggression you're talking about, you notice a difference when you exercise?"
"Dude," Tyler scoffed, "I play three varsity sports. I work out four times a week and run three. I'm gonna say no."

His uncle nodded, Standing up to face him before continuing.
"Do you have episodes?" he asked, brows pinching together slightly in concern. "What happens exactly?"
"Starts out normal," Tyler shrugged in response. "I get angry, typically over nothing. I'm an angry guy. I know it just amplifies and I just go off."

"You black out?"

"Yeah, it's like I go blind with rage."

Mason nodded, half in understanding, half in worry for his nephew.
"Is there a pattern?" he pressed, "Like once a month, only at night?"
"All I know is I lose myself, you know?" Tyler sighed, "For that time I become something else and I hate it."

It was at that instant, that a knock sounded at the door, and Tyler turned from where he was stood to pull it open. He didn't expect to find his best friend and twin sister standing before him, however.
"What the hell?" he said, looking to Matt confusedly, as Mason stood behind him, arms folded, looking on in concern.
"She was with Caroline at the hospital," he explained. "She's fine. Just tired, I think."
"She was there all night?" Tyler sighed, pulling his sister inside.