CHAPTER 3 - FULL MOON

Sophia Lockwood was in a foul mood.

She hated mornings as it was, but being woken by her brother early on a Saturday was the last thing she wanted.

Any other time, she would have told him - rather colourfully - to leave her alone. But, with the events of the carnival still fresh in her mind, she reluctantly dragged herself out of bed.

Tyler knew that their uncle Mason must be up to something, and he wanted to follow him. Both siblings were suspicious, as when they had asked their uncle about what happened that night at the carnival, he became defensive and irritated, which only served to heighten curiosity and concern within both Sophia and her brother.

Something wasn't right.
__________

"What do you mean you didn't compel her?"

Stefan Salvatore rolled his eyes at his brother, who was glaring back at him with irritation. He had just told Damon and Elena everything that Sophia had told him in the parking lot at the carnival.
"Because she doesn't deserve that," Stefan replied with a shrug. "She was scared, and angry. Besides, you're the one that wanted to get to the bottom of this."
"Yeah, and she's my friend, Damon," Elena cut in, "I can't lie to anyone else about this."
"If she knows about us, it could mean all our asses," Damon snapped, "I mean, have you two forgotten who her Mother is?"
"She doesn't know about us, Damon," Stefan replied adamantly, "She knows we're involved with the Katherine situation, and she knows about Caroline, but that's it. And, as far as I can tell, even she thinks there's something weird about her uncle Mason."

It was at that moment that Alaric Saltzman made his way into the parlour of the Salvatore boarding house, joining the two brothers and Elena by the fireplace. They knew that if anyone could help find something out about the Lockwoods, it was him.

After explaining the situation, Alaric agreed that his ex-wife, Isobel, may have some old research at Duke that could offer an explanation.
"Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls rooted in folklores and legends," Alaric explained, "but at the time I thought much of which was fiction."
"Like that amazing vampire story" Damon quipped, earning a glare in response.
"Aside from vampires, what else?" Elena asked, turning curiously to Alaric.

"The lycanthrope."

__________

"What the hell is he doing?" Sophia hissed to her brother. They were crouched behind a bush in the forest, at the edge of the old Lockwood property. Their Uncle Mason had descended down into some sort of cellar in the ruins of the old house, one that neither sibling had realised was there until now.
"I don't know," Tyler whispered, before hushing his sister once more.

They both ducked, just as Mason Lockwood emerged from the cellar. He looked around cautiously, before heading back off towards the main house. Sophia looked to her brother, the glint in her eye as mischievous as ever, before standing up sharply.
"Only one way to find out" she said lowly, and quickly headed towards the cellar.

Tyler let out an exasperated sigh, before following, the pair of them descending down the bricked stairs and into the darkness.

This place must be over a hundred years old, Sophia thought. She knew that the old property was here, but she had never seen anything like this. Both siblings fumbled for their phones as they pushed deeper, through cobwebs and a series of gates and doorways. Sophia turned on the flashlight, whilst Tyler began taking photographs of curiosities that passed them.
"I didn't even know this place was here," Tyler started, his voice still hushed in the darkness, not needing to carry. "What do you think it is?"
"I'm more worried about why the hell Mason was down here," Sophia replied, "I don't think-"