CHAPTER 8 - ANGER

"Damon!"

It was well into the night by the time Sophia's voice cut through The Boarding House, the full moon high in the sky as she slammed the door open with almost alarming force.

"Damon, where the hell are you?"

Stefan Salvatore had gone with her from the tomb, back to his home, knowing all too well that this could only end badly. He did try to protest, but she had ignored him completely, and he didn't blame her.

He didn't give up however. In a flash, he had overtaken her again, blocking Sophia's path as she glared up at him in irritation. Damn his vampire speed, she thought.
"Stefan..." she murmured, almost warningly. "Stop it."
"Just listen—" he started, cut off as she tried to push past him again. Stefan placed both his hands on her shoulders, holding her at arms length, before sighing. "Think about what you're doing, Soph," he said, and she finally looked up at him in reluctance, eyes narrowing as the younger Salvatore continued. "You're going to get hurt."

It was at those words, that Sophia felt another wave of anger hitting her. Stefan, of all people, should understand her anger at Damon. And yet, she felt as though she was being scolded, as if she were a child.

"I don't care."

With that, she pushed Stefan away again, glaring, until two figures appeared in the hallway behind them.

"What the hell is going on?"

The pair turned, and Sophia was surprised to find someone that she didn't quite recognise. Stefan didn't understand either. First Damon had kissed his girlfriend— his ex girlfriend... and now he was with Rose? He didn't want to think about the reason why, his jaw clenching slightly as he stared between them.

Damon seemed to notice however, and so he continued, full of mirth and discomfort.
"Sophia, this is Rose," he said lightly, stepping forward. "Rosebud, Sophia Lock—"
"Damon," Rose interrupted with an apologetic smile, and he shot her a look. "Not sure now's the time."

"Damn right it's not the time."

Sophia's voice came out as an almost menacing snarl, and she tried once more to shove past Stefan. With one hand, he grabbed her forearm, stopping the girl in her tracks. She halted, before spinning back around. Brown eyes shifted slowly upwards to meet Stefan's sincere, forest-green stare. It was a look that even Damon couldn't help but notice, his dark brows knitting together in rumination as he looked on apprehensively.

They stayed like that a moment, until Sophia finally spoke once more.
"Let me go," she whispered. It was like thunder, quiet and tumbling between them, her anger building and resonating in each syllable as if her voice alone could tear apart the sky. It was at those words, that Stefan reluctantly released his grip, and he watched her turn away at last, letting her go. There was no point in delaying the inevitable, he concluded.

Her attention finally settled upon Damon, and now that she was here, Sophia's words caught in her throat like a reluctant confession. Rose glanced at Damon, and it finally hit him. After what happened in The Grill, there was only one possible explanation for why Sophia would be here. He returned Rose's gaze, before finally facing the Lockwood girl again.

"This is about Mason, isn't it?"

"Just tell me the truth, Damon."

Sophia's words caught Damon by surprise.
"The truth?" he scoffed. "Your uncle was working with Katherine, there. That's the truth."
Sophia shook her head, unsurprised, bitterness still lacing her tone as she stepped towards him again. "So you killed him?" she asked, and Damon's eyes narrowed.
"He tried to kill us first" he shrugged, a little too nonchalantly. Damon noticed Stefan sigh heavily, head hung as fidgeting fingers pinched at his brow.
"Only because you stabbed him!" Sophia retorted, his gaze pulled back to her quite suddenly.
"I did what I had to do," Damon stepped forward again, the pair meeting face to face, mere inches apart. "He would have killed us the first chance he got!"
"Don't give me that bullshit, Damon." Sophia spat, and without thinking, she pushed him square in the chest. "Just because you're immortal it doesn't make our lives disposable!"