CHAPTER 15 - CHICAGO

Waiting.

It was never something that Sophia had been particularly fond of. Good news, bad news... it didn't matter what was to come.

Caroline was in trouble.

That was all that mattered. Tyler and their Mother had had an argument that evening, and left the house in a blur of confusion and shouting.

Carol Lockwood knew more about the vampires in this town than anyone would assume, but her focus had shifted onto one person in particular. And this time, she had gone too far. In her desire to protect her children from monsters, she had taken away someone that they loved.

Monsters, she had said.

"You don't know about me, do you?"

Tyler had asked their Mother with a shaking voice, angry and protective. Sophia didn't know what had happened between him and Caroline, but she had never seen him so concerned, not like this.

They both left shortly after that, but was now well past midnight, on a full moon, nonetheless. The hours dragged on, a relentless tedium that did nothing to quell Sophia's concern for Caroline's safety. At some point, she could have sworn she fell asleep. But for 3 hours or 3 minutes... it wouldn't have made a difference. She was still alone, sat in an armchair and staring at the clock on the wall as her right leg hammered up and down in an anxious rhythm.

It wasn't until the early hours of the following morning, that Carol and Tyler returned.

"Tyler?"

He had barely opened the front door, before Sophia hit him with a bone crushing hug. He winced slightly, but still wrapped his arms around her, the exhaustion plain as day on his face as he pulled back a little reluctantly.

It was then that Sophia noticed her Mother standing behind them, and she looked more than a little shaken up. But when their eyes met, she smiled.

"I'm taking care of it," her Mom said with a nod. "I'll make sure nothing happens to Caroline."

__________

The following day, Sophia's head had barely hit her pillow before Elena and Damon came calling. She scowled at them both as she opened the front door, but whatever profanity she had in mind was cut short when Damon announced that he knew where Stefan and Klaus were.

Chicago.

It was far, but still drivable... atleast for Damon, it was. Hours later, the sun was high in the sky, and the car was quiet except for the soft snores coming from the back seat.

"She's completely out." Elena noted, turning to look at Sophia. "Do you think she's okay?"
"Sophia?" Damon scoffed. "Sure, she's tough as nails. But if anyone needs some shut eye around here, it's her. But then again, Stefan's diaries aren't exactly the most riveting source of road trip entertainment."
"She did read a lot." Elena's eyes lingered on the leatherbound diary still open on Sophia's lap, before shifting and facing the road ahead once more. "I don't think she's slept much since Caroline disappeared."
"Hey, Carol and Liz are on it." Damon said. "We'll get blondie back, and then we'll get Stefan back... easy as pie."

A wry smile crept onto his face then.

"Besides, I think she's got a thing for Stefan, so bringing her along—"