the slap

warning: there are descriptions of domestic abuse in this scene (they are acting) and rough sex...

june
production

"So, Seb, you are going to have to hit her. Is that okay with you?"

The words were so loud. You'd been sitting on your canvas chairs, just talking and sharing random songs that would come up on your playlists. It's dark outside now and you're getting tired. They had been rewatching your dailies, pleased with the dialogue but emphasising the fact that there was something missing. 

You see Sebastian's eyes shoot towards you as if looking for your permission. He shifts uncomfortably, wiping damp palms against his jeans.

"Uh..." You nod, letting him know it's okay with you. "Okay, yeah. I can do that."

"Perfect. Great. So from the top."

"You sure you're okay with that?" He asks as you get up, walking towards your markers on the floor. 

"Yeah. It'll be fine. I'll be fine."

"Did he even ask you?" He whispers as you turn to face each other. 

There's shouting around you both as they set up the scene again and he rubs at his face, fingers dragging against his cheeks. 

"It's fine, honestly."

"You shouldn't do something you don't want to." 

Then the marker comes and everything goes quiet. You can see the worry in his face as he runs his tongue along his teeth, glancing to the sides as if he's changed his mind. 

"It's okay." You rush before anything's called. 

"Okay! And. Action."

Then just like that, it's the two of you again. Faking emotions and remembering lines. 

"What did you do?" You clench your jaw to force tears into your eyes.

"I didn't do anything," Billy says and there's an anger to his face.

"Did you kill him?"

He doesn't hesitate. His palm is hard against your cheek. It steals your breath, all of it, as you gasp and stumble backwards. Cheek red already, you don't need to fake a cry as your skin stings from the slap. 

"What the fuck did you just say to me!" He shouts and his demeanour is different this time. His hand reaches out for your arm, making it look like he snatches you back towards him but he helps steady your shock. 

"I know you know." The trembling is real, the weak voice isn't faked as you bring a hand to your face. It's hot to touch. 

Billy steps towards Hannah and grabs her by the hair, pulling her head towards him. He almost spits his words.

"No what's that then? What did the little birdie tell you?"

"I know you know about me and Jo."

"What do I know?!"

Billy pushes Hannah towards the wall now by her throat, his grip is tight and warm but loosens so just his fingers dig into her skin, palm just touching.

"You know... that we slept together." You manage.

He lets go, defeated.

"Cut!"

"I'm so sorry." You see Sebastian's hand shaking as he gathers himself, running his fingers through his hair. It's short now and it doesn't bounce like it used to. You can see his skin at the sides and the top looks darker than it did when it was longer.