the coffee

december
post-production

You hadn't seen each other since the day after the worst night of your life but he pulled you into a hug as soon as he heard your voice behind him. You'd spoken none stop through texts and phone calls. To the point that when you go to write any word that begins with the letter S, your keyboard offers you his name. Right next to shit and so

"Have we ever met for coffee before?" You ask, sipping at your cup as you both sit outside the shop. The world moves around you as he has his back to the sidewalk.

"Sure we have." He takes his sunglasses off and the blue takes over the black as his eyes adjust to the light.

"I'm telling you, we haven't."

"Oh, well. This is nice." He's wearing a flat cap, hiding his longer hair and shadowing his face as he drinks. "How are you anyway? Enjoying the city?"

"I'm good, yeah, thanks. Never realised how cold it is in winter." You say, pulling your jacket across your chest.

"It gets worse." He laughs. "Any plans for the Holidays?"

"None. No idea what I'll be doing. You?"

"Not sure yet. Have a couple of projects either side of it, so I'll see where I am. Any castings?"

You nod while drinking, hands getting cold but your palms were warm around your cup. He must have noticed your skin blotching blue and tips turning bright red as he pulls out a pair of gloves from his coat.

"Here."

"Thank you." You smile while struggling to get your fingers into them. "There's this one I'm waiting on, for HBO. Should be cool."

"What's it about?"

"Ever played The Last of Us?"

"No. Any good?" He asks, finger tapping on the lid of his cup.

"Yeah, amazing. It's that basically. But we'll see how it goes. I auditioned for two roles but I don't think I'm quite right for the lead."

"Look at you with your leads. You'll boss whatever you get."

"What about you? Anymore Disney work with Bucky, then?"

"Top secret." He brings his hand to his mouth, pretending to lock his lips with his fingers.

"Come on, I won't tell."

"Yes, you will. You're the worst type of drunk. You'd spill state secrets after a few bottles of Bud."

"Hey! I can keep a secret." You say, thinking about the ones that remain unspoken between you.

"Hmm. But yeah, would love to be the White Wolf. We'll see, won't we."

The air is almost warm as you breathe even though the street is freezing, heavy as your eyes lock. You wonder what he's thinking about because you know what's running through your head. It's the same thoughts every time you look at him, every time your knees accidentally brush under the table, every time you see his name flash on your screen. You manage a fluttering breath this time as you peel your eyes away from the finger that strokes his lips.

"Seen some photos of you the other day." You say, tucking your gloved hands between your thighs as they're still cold.

"I know where this is going. No, I'm not with her." He says, licking at froth that's on the lid of his drink.

"I wasn't going to ask about that. Just wondered if you were any closer to marriage, actually." You smile but he just stares at you, hand curled around his mouth. "I'll take that as a no, then."

"What about you, found anyone who'll have you yet?"

"Not yet." You say with a smile.

"Talking about weddings. Are you still going to Sam's?"

"I am. Are you going?"

"Yeah." He shows his teeth now, tongue following the curve as he smiles.

"Maybe you should catch the bouquet, so you can be next."

"Shut up." He laughs softly, taking his hat off to run his fingers through his hair before tucking it all back into hiding. "I've gotta go. I've got this thing with Don."

You go to take the gloves off to give them back to him. He puts his hand on yours to stop you, and your eyes meet as he looks down at you as he stands. They're as blue as the sky today but warmer, you can get lost in them and forget that you're freezing. Your body goes numb, not from the cold, but from the shine that's in them. That hunger you'd seen before. When he blinks you're snapped right back to reality, the sounds of people and sirens filling your ears and you realise you'd been holding your breath.

"Keep them. Text me when you fancy another coffee and you can give them back to me then."

He plants his lips on your head, quickly kissing you. You can feel the stubble tickle your scalp through your hair. He stands next to you for a moment, as confused as you before he joins the moving crowds.

When you watch him walk away you see him tugging at the sleeves of his jacket, pulling them into his palms. It takes you a second to realise he's looking back at you, eyes meeting briefly before he blends in with the wave of people.

It's then you see the photographer, lurking behind the parked cars that line the sidewalk.

You
They saw that

Pula
Of course they did
I don't care
Do you?

You
No

Pula
Talk soon