the end

july
post-production

It was as if they didn’t trust you to be alone, not for the first few months. If it wasn’t Seb with you, Chris would be there and sometimes even Mackie. Taking it in turns to make sure your guilt didn’t reignite old habits. 

“Seb will be back for two,” Chris says, wiping down the kitchen counters while you keep yourself busy writing the week on the board. “I’ve got to go back to Boston, will you be okay until he gets back?” 

“I’ll be fine, Chris, thank you.” You say but your smile is brief and doesn’t touch your cheeks, let alone reach your eyes. 

“You can always call me, I’ll pick up no matter what, you know that?” 

“I know, C. I’m lucky to have you all.” You don’t look at him now, pen squeaking against the board as you write, noting your schedules and appointments. 

“We’re your boys, Y/N. You’ll always have us.” 

It was true, you would. Even when you felt like you didn’t need them, there’d be a knock at the door and someone would have some kind of food in their hand. It was usually Fridays, Mackie had started movie nights to end the week, starting with The Covenant even after Sebastian’s protest. The boys tackled him to the floor so you could slip the DVD into the player, with Chris more than happy to stay sat on him if he kept fighting. Sebastian had given up in the end, hiding his face behind your shoulder for some of the scenes. 

“I’ll see you Friday, Y/N.” Chris says now, reaching the door. “Your choice, isn’t it?” 

Knives Out?” You ask, and your smile is bigger now. 

“For you, I would. But no telling, Seb, he might get jealous that it’s not one of his films.” 

You say your goodbyes and you’re alone, the city streaming through the glass so you’re not surrounded by a silence that would have once consumed you. It’s warm in the apartment, windows open and a cool breeze just reaching you as you move towards the bedroom. 

You make the mistake of lying on the bed with Sebastian’s copy of Sapiens, trying to get through as much of the pages as your eyes could manage but you end up drifting off to a sleep. 

*

His lips are wet against your cheek as you feel a soft blanket being pulled over your shoulders. You turn your face in search of his mouth, half asleep but he’s still close as you can smell him. When you feel his breath warm against your face you manage to open your eyes. 

His toothy grin is all you need to see before you smile, too. He kisses you now, hand cupping your chin as he helps rid of any of the tiredness that might have been lingering. 

“Mmm.” You manage, following him as he tries to pull away. 

“I wish I could,” he says, “but I have something to show you.” 

“You woke me up from my sleep and you won’t even give me sex?” 

“There’ll be time for that later.” His thumb brushes away any signs of a nap from your eyes, slight crusts at the corners gone from his touch. “I promise.” 

“We don’t break those, Stan. You know that, right?” 

“Stan.” He smiles as he pulls away, looking down at you as you pull yourself up to sit. “Yeah, I know.” 

You shrug on a denim jacket, not really knowing if it’s yours or his, before following him outside. You can see his fingers scratching at his palms when they’re not tugging at his sleeves so you know he’s nervous. Then a hand disappears into the pocket of his jeans, clenching at something as you reach the stairs.