the roadtrip

november
post-production

You wake up to knocking on the door. Three loud bangs, then a pause and then another round. Loud and incessant.

"Fuck, okay. Got it. Coming!"

You can feel the warmth of limbs against you as you let your eyes adjust to the light. Regretting that you didn't close the blinds last night to stop the sun from streaming in from behind the other buildings. Rays already warm on the sheets as you pull yourself away from the body next to you.

"You need to get up. Up, up." You shake the man next to you and he moans as he stirs. "Wake up!"

You get up, grabbing at clothes on the floor and throwing them onto the bed for him to get changed. You're jumping into a pair of knickers and a loose t-shirt from the pile of laundry you'd not got around to putting away yet when there's knocking again.

"I'm coming!"

You open it and he stands there, eyebrows high as he leans against the frame, eyes scrutinising as he studies your rushed outfit.

"Good night?" He asks, coming inside and handing you one of the cups he was holding.

"Fuck, Sebastian. What time is it?"

"Ten. Like we said." He heads towards the kitchen counters and pulls out one of the stools to lean against.

"I'm so sorry. Uh, hold on."

"Y/N." The voice echoes from your room and you wince opening your eyes to see Sebastian's face light up.

"Oh, so it was a good night?"

"Shut up." You snap in a whisper at him as you turn to see the man walking towards you, feet dragging on the wooden floor in a way that annoys you. "Hey, yeah. So, I'm sorry. I forgot I had this thing -"

"Roadtrip," Sebastian says with a laugh.

"Yeah, roadtrip and I'm gonna need you to go."

"Or stay. And spill the beans."

"Sebastian." You shoot him a glare as you almost dance in the middle of the room, not knowing which one to look at. "Shush! Yeah, so. Sorry." You're back looking at the man now, Luke. You think. A hangover fogging last night's memories as you try and piece things together.

"Guest book is by the door if you want to leave a review."

"Sebastian! Fuck."

Luke... Luca... the man in nothing but his underpants and a shirt leaves without saying anything really, a frown of confusion on his face as he looks at the two of you.

"Why did you do that?"

"What?" Sebastian sips at his coffee now.

"Make me sound like I do this all the time."

"Because it was funny."

"If this wouldn't give you third-degree burns I'd throw it at you." You say before taking the day's first mouthfuls of caffeine.

"He seemed nice."

You shake your head with a sigh as you lick your latte's top layer of froth off your lips.

Sebastian stares at you, his mouth slightly open so you can see his tongue follow the curve of his teeth as he thinks before swallowing at words best not said. He flashes you a weak smile. "You gonna get changed so we can go or what?"

"Shit, yeah, sorry." You don't move right away, you look at him now as you chew at the corner of your mouth. Thumb stroking at the lid of your cup as you want to say something. It forms as a lump in your throat. A harsh reminder of the things you never shared and it dries your mouth.