the party

may
pre-production

You're not sure who came up with the idea. It was a sort of team-building exercise but with plenty of alcohol, music, bad singing and strobing lights instead of paintballs, go-karts or more awkward ice breakers. It was loud and dark but it was fun.

Daisy had dragged you onto the dance floor, bored of watching you linger by tables with an empty bottle in your hand. Too awkward to go and order another one, but not drunk enough to join the crowd. 

"Loosen up!" She shouted, waving your hands in the air for you. Her eyes looked black as she smiled, dancing with her arms pointed high as she grinds her ass against your front. 

You start to move now, feeling almost forced just so you could edge away from her body without her noticing. Mateo comes over with his fingers in the necks of some bottles, giving you one and clinking it with his as he passes the other to Daisy. 

"Cheers!" He shouts and he watches you drink the froth that's forcing its way up towards the lip of your bottle.

You dance without wanting to, deciding it's more embarrassing to stay still when everyone around you is doing the same. Mateo's eyes almost burn your face as he stares and you're aware of your every move. Then he whispers something in Daisy's ear, hand covering his mouth as he talks. 

Your eyes spot Sebastian behind them, sat in a booth with someone but not really listening. He was looking at you before you saw him and he flashes you a smile, bringing his bottle to the air. You do the same with yours. 

He frowns slightly when Daisy speaks to you, shouting to be heard over the music. 

"We're going to the toilet, coming with?" 

She didn't let you answer. She hooked her arm at the crease of her elbow before pulling you away from the crowd, your feet taking a couple of steps to catch up. 

"Jesus, Daisy." The three of you are in one of the bigger cubicles, designed for wheelchairs, not friends wanting to huddle around the toilet.

There's a ledge just below the glass-paned wall. It's not deep enough for you to rest your phone on if you wanted to hike up your skirt so you could sit and wee but it's perfect for Mateo to scrape perfect white lines for you to sniff.

"You're having one, right, Y/N?"

"I'm okay, thanks. I don't really, I don't do that." You say, stepping back towards the door now as your body starts to itch in discomfort.

"Everyone does it, sweet," Daisy says, leaning over the powder before it disappears up the rolled-up note. She pinches at her nose when it's done, sniffing as if she wants to sneeze.

When she opens her eyes, they're still black and it's now you realise it wasn't the light.

Mateo does his line, letting out a massive gasp as if he ran out of air.

Then they look at you and you shake your head.

"Won't dance. Won't coke."

"Coke's not a verb." You say with a smile. It's not real, it's forced and shaking with nerves as your hand tightens around the neck of your bottle. Your thumb picks at the corner of the label, concentrating on the sticky residue that's stained the glass so you can think of anything but this.

"Just take it. It's expensive stuff, no point wasting it."

"I said I'm fine. Thanks." You manage, quite firmly but your palms are sweating and your heart feels as if it's making its way up to your mouth.