the mistake

september
post-production

Seb
I'm sorry for whatever
I said last night
I was drunk

Zână
When?

Seb
On the message
In your voicemail

Zână
I haven't got a voicemail
from you?

Seb
??

Zână
Honestly
Nothing there.

His phone had been on charge for about an hour now, eyes still pounding at the screen. He tried soothing his head by drinking water and eating a banana but he just wanted some Advil. Sebastian rereads your message, eyes squinting. Confused.

He was drunk but he remembers almost every word of what he said to you. Every. Single. Word. And when he'd switched his phone on when he woke up he was hoping for a missed call from you, or a knock at the door.

And everything would be fixed. You'd tell him you wanted the same thing. You wanted Sebastian. Not Billy.

Now he watches you type, wondering if you're lying. If you've listened to it and would rather pretend it doesn't exist. Never happened.

There's a breeze in his room, thin curtains blowing in the slight wind. Warm against his skin as he lies naked in the bed, finger trialing against his collar bone as he thinks. The other hand holding his phone as he waits.

You stop typing.

Zână
Seb
I don't know who you called
But it wasn't me
I promise

Read 11:17

He backs out of your messages to check his call log, believing you. And his heart drops. Fast. As if it stops beating, suddenly feeling the emptiness in his stomach as he just stares.

H

The phone he'd given you when you were Hannah.

Sebastian scoffs, wanting to throw his phone across the room. Wanting to bury his head deep into his pillow hoping that when he comes back up for air, everything would be fixed. Or it was just a bad dream.

The reality was he'd lived in one for more than half a year, since he'd let you go. And he didn't know how to wake up.

Zână
Seb?

Seb
Apparently didn't call anyone
I was quite drunk

Zână
Are hiu sure?
*you

Seb
Yeah

Zână
I don't believe you

Seb
I promise
Must have been a dream

Zână
And what did you say
In this dream I mean

Seb
That I want us to be
friends again
Please

Zână
I want that too
No more psycho girlfriends?

He smiles at that. Glad that your name flashes up on his screen again. That you're replying. And he's happy like this. Just knowing you're there. Lying alone in his bed, ignoring the world around him, he's happy that you're back in his life.

He doesn't care what it looks like.

Seb
I promise