the threat

may
post-production

The club is dark, loud and sweaty. Your feet stick to the floor and the crowd around the bar makes ordering impossible. Apparently, it was one of the best nights out in the city, but you have some doubts.

You see her sitting in a booth as you stand at the corner of the dancefloor, sipping at the top of your drink so it won't spill when you join the dancing crowds.

She's seen you, too. Her eyes squint as she stares at you but you just shake your head, deciding it's time for another drink. Double this time.

"Y/N, right?"

You glance over your shoulder when she pokes you.

"Yeah. Hi. Kalina?"

"Yeah. Hi. It's nice to finally meet you." She says holding out a hand. You shake it with yours, tongue pushing against your cheek and a forced smile between locked lips.

You'd say the same if it was true.

"Yeah." You say.

"You know, we have table service at the booth over there, if you'd like to join?"

You look behind her at the group she's with, mainly men. No one you recognise, which isn't unusual. Just a drink. Then you can go.

"Sure." You say and you follow her.

Loose curls hang at her shoulders, bouncing as she walks. They're dark in the light but you know they're usually blonde, an almost brown underneath. Her dress hugs her body and follows her every move as she sways.

The booth cheer when she's back as if she's managed something spectacular. As if she's a hunter and returned with the evening meal.

Maybe she has.

"What you drinking?" One of the men asks as he looks at his phone.

"Anything that's a double." You say with a smile, sliding to the corner as Kalina sits at the end.

"Spirits, nice. Leave it with me." He says, ordering through an app. "Thank fuck this exists now. It's only for VIPs though." You nod with wide eyes, pretending to be impressed but you're just glad not to be at the bar.

"Good night so far?" Kalina asks, fingers trailing along the rim of her glass. Perfect nails with a beautiful coat of varnish that you'd usually compliment but not hers. Suddenly conscious of your own fingers, you slip your hands under your thighs as you sit.

"Yeah, sure. You?"

"Always, these boys know how to party!" She shouted over the music but you don't think she needs to.

"I bet!" You force a scoff of a laugh. "Sebastian not with you?"

"No, he goes back to LA tomorrow. He wanted an early night."

"Makes sense." You smile and it comes out with a little satire and you wish you had a drink to hide behind as she watches you.

"Have you seen him recently?"

"No."

You hadn't seen him since he'd come over. He was gone by the time you'd woken up with your arm stretched across the emptiness of the bed as if he'd never been there.

"He's looking really good. It's for a movie he's doing but I wouldn't mind if he kept the look, you know?"

Your tongue is clamped between your teeth as you try to hold back from saying anything, not drunk enough for confrontation and sober enough to realise there was no way out.