Chapter 8 : The Brokenness Within

Trigger Warnings : Self-Harm, Blood, Starvation and a whole lot of negativity

Dream and Niki slowly trudged back to the party, at this point the rest are probably wondering where they're at. They've been gone for about 20 minutes with no signs of returning.

Dream re-enters the dome and unexpectedly he was greeted with a barrage of questions or should he say Niki got all of the questions.

"Where did you and Dream go?" George asked, looking at them questioningly. Dream didn't care to the answer, those questions weren't even for him anyways.

"We just went for a walk that's it." Niki answered nonchalantly, in which casted some suspicious looks.

"Romantic..." Wilbur muttered silently to himself, stifling out a laugh that was building in his chest.

"I heard that!" Niki called out, playfully swatting Wilbur's arm. "Well it was, wasn't it. Right Dream?" he continued, this time aiming the question towards Dream.

The question was left with no answer and no Dream. "Dream?" Bad called, looking around for the tall boy before spotting him once again heading towards the exit.

"Dream where are you going?" they all asked universally. Dream didn't bother to look back, " I'm just going to check us all out!" he said, feigning the chirpiness in his voice.

He quickly walks out, not noticing the worried looks from Bad and Niki while the other casually shrugs before going back to whatever they're doing with Jake.

"Bad, we need to talk." Niki whispered to Bad, before dragging him into a far corner of the room.

"Have you noticed anything off about Dream lately?" Niki popped a question. Bad's face immediately darkens, before sighing deeply.

"Yes, but he told me that he was okay when he clearly isn't!" Bad replied. clearly irritated as he ruffles his hair.

Then something clicked in Bad's head. If Niki's asking him this kind of question, that means Niki must have gained the knowledge that Dream had lent accidentally.

Bad's eyes widened and shone with hope, perhaps Niki knew something about Dream that he didn't. He needed to know it.

"What did he tell you? TELL ME!" Bad interrogated a bit too dramatically as he was very desperate of getting answers.

"Calm down Bad. Let me tell you." Niki calmly says. Bad recollects all of his marbles before taking a deep breath.

"Alright... tell me." Bad said, this time more calmly before starting to listen intently.

"So when we were walking, he asked 'if I die young, do you think anyone would attend my funeral?'." Bad flinched at the powerful question Dream had left.

"I answered that his parents would be there but then he started laughing and said-"

"My parents? I don't think so, but I'm sure they're waiting for me..."

Niki can still remember those pair of green eyes under the bright moonlight. They looked so lifeless, shattered and filled with hopelessness.