18

Angel
Thursday night

"Angel you sure you don't want the last slice?", Blake asks, "You haven't eaten much."

"No, I'm good thanks. And I'm just not having much of an appetite I guess. I'm actually gonna go to bed right now."

"But it's only 8:15", Aiden points out

"I know...I just feel really sleepy right now."

"Are you feeling okay?", Ariel asks

"I am fine. Just incredibly tired. I might pass out right here if I don't lie down. I promise I don't feel sick."

"Okay then. Let's hope all you need is sleep. Goodnight Angel."

"Night guys."

I half-heartedly wave to my friends as I drag my tired legs up the stairs and into the bathroom. I quickly brush my teeth knowing that if I go to the bed first, I won't get up again to do so. In the bedroom I barely manage to get my clothes off and my phone plugged in before I'm plopping onto the top of the bed and losing consciousness.

*^*^*

Where the hell am I? I don't remember stepping outside, and last I checked, I am not a sleepwalker. This place looks nothing like the backyard but more like the center of a dense forest. But strangely I feel calm here, like the feeling of home. Why am I not freaking out? There's no sense of danger; almost as if I belong here. It's the dark of night but there are fireflies everywhere and many seem to be lighting up a path of sorts. Maybe it's stupid to do but I follow their lights and on either side of the path, small critters start lining up and watching me as I pass. The animals get bigger as I keep going, ranging from small rodents and birds to foxes, wolves, owls, bears and so on.

At what seems to be the end of the path, a lithe and willowy silhouette stands in a flowing midnight blue gown illuminated by the moon. Two large wolves sit on either side of her, as if guarding the goddess-like woman. Is she the moon goddess?! As if hearing my thoughts, she reaches out to me, beckoning me closer.

"Come, my child", she says

Her voice is like cool water, calm and refreshing. I could listen to her forever and never be stressed about anything. When I'm within range she wraps her long arms around me and holds me in a warm embrace. This feeling..I've felt it before but so long ago it feels almost foreign. The last time was when my ex mom used to hug me and called me her favorite little princess; before she changed and became the evil queen of my fairy tale. This is the embrace of a mother that not even aunt Lilian or Margarette could replicate. I don't even realize that I'm crying until cool fingers are wiping my tears. I look up and into the lightest green eyes I've ever seen, eyes that are looking at me with so much warmth and erase any desire I have to be released from her embrace. All too soon though, this gorgeous woman is holding me at arms length and staring intently at my face. I feel like she knows every little detail about me.

"My child, you have been through so much. I apologize for not making sure you got the right mate in return."

"Y-you choose our mates?"

"No, unfortunate for some. I can only influence the pairings before they meet but things don't always work out. I saw your mate when you were children but I can't foresee the future and know how they would turn out. It would seem that not all children grow out of vile behavior." You could say that again. "And by the time I could see how awful your mate was being towards you, it was too late to have an influence on fate. Especially because you found out 2 years early. The Blessed One is a special being but I couldn't protect you and for that I am sorry little one."