12

Angel's pov

A nudge on my shoulder wakes me from my too short nap. I open my eyes and sit up, pinching Aiden's finger which is still poking me. A second later, there's a knock at my window and the rest of our friends are standing outside Aiden's truck. I open the door and get out, Blake taking my place.

"Everyone should just go with Aiden. I have to stop in John's office and talk to him", I say

"You don't want us to come with you?", Dani asks

"Nah. Just go to the house and get some rest before training."

"Can I at least come with you? I don't wanna be a fifth wheel", Naomi begs

"Fine."

"Okay, see you guys later", Ari says

I wave and get into my car with Naomi. The first thing she does is put on the radio to a pop music station but keeping the volume low. I pull out of the parking lot after Aiden and follow behind.

"So what do you need to talk to John about?", Naomi asks

"I think that we should have an actual number of the members of his pack. Especially their names and ages just so that we can account for everyone who has to train."

"Does that mean you're going to call attendance or something?"

"Just once or twice to familiarize myself with everyone's faces and names. After that I'll be able to remember them all and tell who is missing."

"Gotcha. By the way, what are you going to do about Eric? And Jake?"

"I rejected him and I felt the bond break. Honestly, I thought it would hurt, but maybe that's because I'd already rejected him in my heart a long time ago. If he insists on harassing me, I don't know what I'll end up doing but things will get difficult. As for Jake, he and his parents can piss off. Hopefully he got the memo earlier."

Naomi nods her head without a word and starts humming to the music. I turn the volume up a little and then we're both singing to "Rise Up" by Andra Day, one of my favorite songs. Soon we pass by the house where the others are parking but I continue driving to the pack house. I park on the curb and Naomi insists on tagging along so we go together.

The double doors of the pack house are already open so we simply enter and pass the kitchen only to be stopped by Maddie. She comes out of the kitchen with another girl to block our path in the hallway.

"What the hell are you doing here now", Maddie spits, "Your little training session isn't for another two hours. You don't have to force us to see you until then."

"Get out of our way Maddison", I say sternly, "I don't have time for this."

"You're not welcome here Angel."

"Does it look like I want to be?"

"Then why are you? Leave and we'll be just fine."

"Why? Because I understand what it means to follow my responsibilities unlike you. And you're kidding yourself if you think this pack can survive without training considering your track record. Trust me, it won't; not with people like you slowing everyone down."

Then Maddie raises her hand palm open to slap me, but a larger hand catches her wrist. That hand belonged to the last person I wanted to be near or see, Eric. Behind him stood Jake who seemed to be glaring at Maddie's friend. I don't know what that's about but I really can't care less. I've already wasted five minutes here so I take the opportunity to sneak past the little group in the hall and make it to the office. I knock twice and John tells us to come in.