chapter eleven - nicotine

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"HI GUYS!" Phoebe greeted us all, entering the coffee house.
"Hey Pheebs, hi!"
"Hey, oh how'd it go?" asked Ross.
"Oh not so good, he walked me to the subway and said- 'we should do this again," she said while getting a mug of coffee from Rachel at the counter.
"Ouch," I winced, "sorry Pheebs."

"What? He said 'we should do it again' that's good right?" asked Rachel, perplexed.
"Um no," Monica started, "loosely translated 'we should do this again' means 'you will never see me naked."
"Since when?" Rachel handed Phoebe a mug.
"Since always!" Joey professed. "It's like dating language, y'know, like 'it's not you' means 'it is you'."
"Or 'you're such a nice guy' means 'I'm gonna be dating leather-wearing alcoholics and complaining about them to you'," added Chandler.
"Or, or y'know 'I think we should see other people' means 'ha ha I already am!'" said Phoebe.

"And everyone knows this?" asked Rach.
"Yeah, have you never had this?" I said.
"Well I guess... not?" she thought hard trying to remember.
"Ugh you're so lucky," I sighed, "it can hurt sometimes too."
"When?"
"When you're about to say 'I love you' but instead they just say 'love ya'," I suggested.

"Now, what is wrong with that?" she demanded.
"Oh that is a slap in the face! You say 'love ya' to a close colleague, to a friend, to that overly-close aunt at thanksgiving," I explained.
"I think you're reading into this too much now," Rachel narrowed.
"Oh no she's right!" Phoebe commented. Monica nodded in agreement.
"Yeah it cushions the blow," Joey added.

"Yeah, it's like when you're a kid, and your parents put your dog to sleep, and they tell you it went off to live on some farm," said Chandler.
"That's funny, that, no, because, uh, our parents actually did, uh, send our dog off to live on a farm," Ross smiled, absent-mindedly.
"Uh, Ross," Monica began, trying to break the news to him about our old dog. How did he not know?

"What? Wh- hello? The Millners' farm in Connecticut?" I repressed a giggle. "The Millners, they had this unbelievable farm, they had horses, and, and rabbits that he could chase and it was- it w-," Ross slowed down upon reading our facial expressions. Then it hit him. "Oh my God, Chi Chi!"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Monica can I ask you a cooking-, food-y question?" I asked, entering her and Rach's apartment.
"Sure, anything," she smiled while fumbling through her mail.
"Well, since I'm writing all the time at home, are there any fun lunch recipes that you'd recommend?"
"Of course I have loads," she headed to the shelves of colourful spined books, with delicious dishes on their covers.

"What's wrong with going down to the coffee house?" asked Monica.
"Nothing, it's just you reach a certain point where it just becomes more expensive to pay for muffins and pastries than just an actual lunch," I explained.
"Ah!"
"Okay but listen alright, please don't tell Rach," I begged.
"Why not?"