chapter thirty five - nostalgia

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The past three days had been absolute hell. There had been moments where I just wanted this evening to come and everything else to blur by like a late night can drive. Others made me dread everything I was about to do and make me want to bail on my own plan. As we were all getting ready to go out to the cemetery for the service, my hands shook as I zipped up my purse and coat.

"Oh my God you look stunning," said Pheebs. Of course I had to look stunning. It was Rach but no one else knew that apart from Mon.
"Thanks Pheebs! So do you," I smiled checking out her dress.
"I know," she grinned. I loved her confidence; sometimes it was refreshing.
"Okay guys so for the cabs- began Monica, giving me a subtle wink, "I figured it would be me, Ross and Pheebs in one, Joey and Chandler in another and Rach and Lizzie in the other one."
"But Mon wouldn't it make sense that you three Gellers go together?" asked Pheebs. My mind went blank.
"No it's okay I like riding with Rach," I smiled, giving Rach a nudge. She grinned widely at me and we linked arms.
'That was excellently passed off,' I thought to myself.

"Ooo Rach! Are those the shoes?!" Phoebe exclaimed.
"Uh-huh, Paolo sent them from Italy," she modelled the shoes.
"They're nice, Rach," I tried to smile although it was hard.
I wish I could give her shoes. I wish I could give her the world.
"I know!" she squealed excitedly.

But it was all okay. By 8 o'clock tonight, she'd know everything. I had booked a table at Ma Petite Étoile for us both with a window seat over the garden at the back. They had live music on Mondays too. It would be quiet and romantic and perfect. This was the night. I felt it even if I didn't plan on telling her.

"We ready to go?" asked Joe.
"Well, don't we look nice all dressed up?" He stared dead ahead "...It's stuff like that, isn't it?"
I nodded at him.

Monica led us all down to the cabs and, as promised, made certain that Rachel and I were in the same one. "How're you feeling?" she asked, shutting the door.
"Okay, I suppose but it might be a bit overwhelming once I get there, you know?" I considered seeing all my family again. Obviously, I wasn't particularly popular with them and I'd thought as I got older, I would care less but I only become more bothered by it.
Rachel nodded. "Fair enough. And um how's it going with Juniper?" she asked, playing with her fingers.
"Okay I guess, there's just some stuff I have to work through first before I get into a proper relationship with her... or anyone actually," I hinted.
"What kind of stuff?"
This was a good time. No, no I had to stick to the plan. "I'll tell you after the funeral," I smiled.
Rachel cocked a brow. "Tell me what exactly?"
"I don't know," I muttered, "nothing, everything." I was struggling to look her in the eye as she tried to decipher me.
"Well what is it? Nothing or everything?"
I exhaled. "Don't even worry about it," I shook my head with an absent minded smile.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The funeral was a trialling thing. While we had perfect weather with a sunshine breeze, I felt a bit foggy and bleak. With my mother's comments and shoulder rubs from my relatives and that combined with I could have sworn I heard Joey's coat talk, the day had been pretty low.
But it was never meant to be a high, was it?